Re: Worldly happiness doesn't work, whatever the combination. Am I right?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
MrLearner

Worldly happiness doesn't work, whatever the combination. Am I right?

Post by MrLearner » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Hello everyone,

I was actually thinking about this for a while. I was wondering whatever the combination worldly happiness never works, for example.

1. Normally we crave things, when we get them we become happy, and novelty wears off back to suffering

2. Lets say now there is a heavenly world where we get everything we become crave instantly, we are now always happy and this is a long lasting happiness. My question is in this scenario wouldn't people get bored of been happy all the time, and actually like suffering. So in this world suffering becomes new happiness. So in this world people wil crave for suffering and will end up with suffering due to this craving

3. So my question is whatever the combo, the human will always be suffering, so there is no point been depressed of the fact that world is suffering, because there is no possible combo where we can have a world with people been happy all the time. Only such world is possible through getting rid of craving and achieving nibbana. So only way to achieve eternal piece is following the buddhist pathway.

I don't know if I got my message across through, is my thinking right?
Last edited by MrLearner on Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:46 pm

MrLearner wrote: I was actually thinking about this a long time before and was also stimulated by no_mind's post.
My post? I am a strong believer in material happiness (in properly calibrated doses) and unlimited emotional and spiritual happiness.
MrLearner wrote: 3. So my question is whatever the combo, the human will always be suffering, so there is no point been depressed of the fact that world is suffering, because there is no possible combo where we can have a world with people been happy all the time. Only such world is possible through getting rid of craving and achieving nibbana. So only way to achieve eternal piece is following the buddhist pathway.
I am happy (in spite of suffering which occurs over the course of life).

Hopefully I did not inspire you with my post
No_Mind wrote:Ask yourself the converse question. What would happen if happiness lasted?
I said ask yourself the converse question. I did not mean everlasting happiness is not possible.

:namaste:
Last edited by No_Mind on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know one thing: that I know nothing

MrLearner

Post by MrLearner » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:57 pm

No_Mind wrote:
MrLearner wrote: I was actually thinking about this a long time before and was also stimulated by no_mind's post.
My post? I am a strong believer in material happiness (in properly calibrated doses) and unlimited emotional and spiritual happiness.

So sorry. I misread your reply. "You replied saying think otherway and what if happiness lasts?" I thought you were referring to my thinking in above post. Sorry for misunderstanding, I'll edit original post.

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:11 pm

MrLearner wrote:Worldly happiness doesn't work, whatever the combination. Am I right?
Or maybe it does, and you just haven't tried hard enough.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

santa100

Post by santa100 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Some info. that might be useful from a similar thread here

Meggo

Post by Meggo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:25 pm

"I don't know what happyness is, so i can never be unhappy."
- U. G. Krishnamurti

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:03 pm

If you aspire to something that is conditioned and subject to change then disappointment is inevitable, not only that seperate yourself from your goal and reinforce the unsatisfactoriness of your current situation. At some stage we need to let go of that habit.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Goofaholix wrote:If you aspire to something that is conditioned and subject to change then disappointment is inevitable, not only that seperate yourself from your goal and reinforce the unsatisfactoriness of your current situation. At some stage we need to let go of that habit.
And then we can be happy.

The theory is pretty simple, really: craving (lust, clinging, greed, etc - it comes in many flavours) always causes unhappiness. If we let go of our craving, we can be happy.

Putting the theory into practice, of course, is not so easy. :thinking:

Kim

ryanM

Post by ryanM » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:27 pm

It works, but to what end? We end up in the same place we've started, or maybe we've even regressed. I used to be very hard on myself regarding sense pleasures. However, I know that I only have a certain capacity at any one time and that that capacity is conditioned by my past karma. There are times when I hold firm to my resolutions regarding sense pleasures, but other times I indulge. I do my best not to beat myself up over it because I know that ultimately I am moving in a positive direction. There are more and more moments where I don't feel the necessity to indulge. I can just sit back and enjoy the show. I think you're spot on regarding the ultimate goal of the path, but it takes a lot of time and effort. A little bit of letting go, a little bit of peace.
Ajahn Chah wrote: If you let go a little you a will have a little peace; if you let go a lot you will have a lot of peace; if you let go completely you will have complete peace.
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:16 am

MrLearner wrote:
No_Mind wrote:

So sorry. I misread your reply. "You replied saying think otherway and what if happiness lasts?" I thought you were referring to my thinking in above post. Sorry for misunderstanding, I'll edit original post.
When I said ask yourself the converse question --
No_Mind wrote:
Ask yourself the converse question. What would happen if happiness lasted?
I meant if you are perfectly happy at one moment .. children are sleeping, wife is reading a magazine, you are sipping whiskey and watching an old Alfred Hitchcock film .. all is well with the world .. think how you will feel if that moment stretched out endlessly .. 48 hours .. 96 hours .. by end of a week in that "perfect" moment you will be mad and wish the children woke up, sun rose and it was time for normal morning hullabaloo.

As long as you realise that what is with you now is temporary, you will not suffer when you lose it. Your job, your family, this moment of peace is temporary. A grandchild will be born and your grandma will die, your spouse will pass away or become infirm but your children will grow up and be strong. Your job will be replaced by a new job and one day by retirement. One state of affairs will be replaced by another.

Unhappiness arises when you believe the status quo will be maintained forever. Each status quo will be replaced by a new status quo and you must be willing to understand and accept this flux.

I know one thing: that I know nothing

Mohan Gnanathilake

Post by Mohan Gnanathilake » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:52 am

People today want to experience something which is beyond this world because they feel distressed about life or they are bored.

The Gautama Buddha taught that as long as there are attachment, ill-will and ignorance in one’s heart, true happiness cannot be found.
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.
(Dhammapada 1, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
(Dhammapada 2, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

Mr.Mohan Barathi Gnanathilake
Permanent Address : No. 372 / 2 , Mahara Prison Road , Ragama, Sri Lanka.
Telephone No :+94 112957857
Email :moh.bar.gna1975@gmail.com