Karma, reincarnation & the precepts

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
reempharaoh

Karma, reincarnation & the precepts

Post by reempharaoh »

How do we know that karma, reincarnation and the precepts are ultimate truths ? My entrance into spirituality began with non-dualistic thinking so I feel like embracing these beliefs would be an assumption on my part and not followed out of clarity. I super apologise for my forwardness. I ask a lot of questions.
cooran

Re: Karma, reincarnation & the precepts

Post by cooran »

Hello reempharoah,

Maybe it would be a good idea to sort the Theravada teaching on each of these terms first. For instance, the Buddha never taught Reincarnation - he taught rebirth:

An explanation of Rebirth
http://www.theravada-dhamma.org/blog/?p=9257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

A more recent version of that article is available on my web site.

An Explanation of Rebirth
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
coreycook950

Post by coreycook950 »

Greetings my Friend,

Lord Gotama invites us all to contemplate his teachings, to test them for ourselves and see if they are true, not only from faith (like in other traditions) but in practice.

Do you believe cause and effect? This is Kamma, in brief.
The Precepts are guidelines, not commandments, to follow- to obtain greater peace and most importantly clarity and stillness of mind.
We do not want the mind to be disturbed by intoxicants, for example...

We as Buddhists believe that renunciation leads to peace.
I've found myself that renunciation is peace.

So I encourage you to find a wise mentor, a Monk perhaps, and go from there.

Visit Yuttadhammo Bhikku's weblog "Truth is Within" for many videos and Dhamma information.
You can even contact him with any questions you may have.

WIth Metta,

CC :buddha2: