A question on sutra about precepts

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Ervin

A question on sutra about precepts

Post by Ervin »

Hi everyone,

When I was looking up on sutras on precepts I was puzzled about the first precept. What got me thinking was that it said I vow not to destroy any life.

Now, how is it possible not to destroy any life? I mean you have to eat utleast plant based diet, and plants are alive.

If it said I take a vow not to destroy any sentient life forms, then you could become vegan and you wouldn't be torturing or destroying any sentient life forms.

Can someone please help me with this, it's holding me back little bit.

Thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: A question on sutra about precepts

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Meat is dead already, so eating meat does not break the first precept. Eggs are unfertilised, so they are not viable forms of life.

Plants are non-sentient, so eating plants does not break the first precept even if you pluck fruit to eat it.

Nearly all vegetables and fruits that you can buy in the marketplace are grown after spraying with insecticides, and protected from vermin with guns, traps, and poisons. Any such intentional killing of living beings is done by the farmer and not by the person eating the food.

The Great Vegetarian Debate thread is already 171 pages. Read some of that to get different points of view.

The first precept is broken in four ways:
  1. You kill a living being with your own hand
  2. You urge another to do it
  3. You permit another to do it when you have the power to prevent it
  4. You speak in praise of it
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Ervin
I think there is a point what you say.
Do not interpret precepts literally.
That will make you clinging to practice and precepts.
Start with not killing your mother father etc
Then do not kill human.
Then do not kill animals.
Then do not kill insects.
Then do not eat eggs.
Then start moderate in eating.
It is gradual training.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

Thanks Bikhu Pesalla and and Sarah .

Bikhu, you kind of gave me some sort of an answer, but on that vegeterian debate I came find any answers. I mean no direct enough answer to my question.

Thanks
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Ervin wrote:On that vegetarian debate I cannot find any answers.
That's pretty impressive — reading 171 pages in 20 minutes, but yes, you won't find many useful answers there, but a lot of different views and opinions.

In the end, you have to examine your own intention when buying food or preparing and eating meals to see if you have any violent intentions towards living-beings.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

Bhiku, I didn't read every answer in the link. I just skimmed through enough to get the gist of them.

But if you abstain from killing yourself and getting someone else to do it for you all you are doing is getting someone else to do the "dirty" work for you.

If you eat any food then you are supporting the killing of a living being( whether plant based food or animal based food ) indirectly whether you pay for it or not.

The only answer I can come up with for what ever is worth is that Buddha considered us smart/ intelligent enough to eventually, if not at the beginning work out that it includes only sentient beings Which means that we have to go vegan. And if there is no vegan food available, then we must eat animal based food, but the fact that we must eat animal based food is not going to release us from the negative karma that we get from that act of eating it.

However, I could be wrong, because there might be sutras that clearly explain the answer to my question contrary to my personal answer.

I eat meet currently because I find it difficult on a vegan diet. One of the reasons for that is because of a injection that I have been on for almost three years. The injection controls my schizophrenia and a specific form of bipolar. ( very bad karma, I obviously have a past). However I am on new better injection so in couple of months whether I end up a Bhuddist or not I plan on going vegetarian that eats only dairy , no egs and then hopefully vegan.

All the best Bhiku, Sarah and all living beings.

Thanks
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

I might ad that I read somewhere more than once that Buddha instructed us to question everything even everything that he says.

So, I am only following Buddha's teachings. I am being a good Buddhist.

Thanks
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Ervin wrote:And if there is no vegan food available, then we must eat animal based food, but the fact that we must eat animal based food is not going to release us from the negative karma that we get from that act of eating it.
Not sure where you get that idea from. The Buddha gave pretty clear instruction in MN 55:
MN 55 wrote:"Jīvaka, those who speak thus do not say what has been said by me, but misrepresent me with what is untrue and contrary to fact.

“Jīvaka, I say that there are three instances in which meat should not be eaten: when it is seen, heard, or suspected [that the living being has been slaughtered for oneself]. I say that meat should not be eaten in these three instances. I say that there are three instances in which meat may be eaten: when it is not seen, not heard, and not suspected [that the living being has been slaughtered for oneself]. I say that meat may be eaten in these three instances.
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

Santa 100, those ideas where my personal ideas, I didn't get them from any particular teachings.

And thank you very much for correcting me.

So, there you go, we can eat meat.

Thanks
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Ervin wrote:Hi everyone,

When I was looking up on sutras on precepts I was puzzled about the first precept. What got me thinking was that it said I vow not to destroy any life.

Now, how is it possible not to destroy any life? I mean you have to eat utleast plant based diet, and plants are alive.

If it said I take a vow not to destroy any sentient life forms, then you could become vegan and you wouldn't be torturing or destroying any sentient life forms.

Can someone please help me with this, it's holding me back little bit.

Thanks
Hi Ervin,

another thing that might help you is that "panatipata" in the first precept means something like "breathing beings". So one abstains from harming or destroying breathing beings may be a better translation in your situation. The concept of "life" was connected with the breath for the Indians, that's why we also find the translations, not to destroy any "life".

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

Thanks accineyo, that's preaty much the way I interpreted it.

And Santa, if you buy a flesh of an breathing being like accineyo put it then, that breathing being then you are again breaking the first precept in my view because let's say lamb is slaughtered for the consumer, buyer of the product.

Now that's maybe fine if you where to start living like a Buddha and you live of donations because sometimes you can't choose , but otherwise you can.

Thanks
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

acinteyyo, I thought of something lot earlier actually. And that is that even plants breathe.

Thanks
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Irvin I've just posted a reply to you thread in the Great Vegetarian Debate thread if you would like to check it out, I think you are asking a good question.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Ervin wrote:acinteyyo, I thought of something lot earlier actually. And that is that even plants breathe.

Thanks
Hi Ervin,
it is important to acknowledge that what "breath" means in this context has to be understood according to the Indian understanding roughly 2500 years ago.
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.