The 6th, 7th and 8th precept. Why?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
charlotte

The 6th, 7th and 8th precept. Why?

Post by charlotte »

I'm really confused about these three precepts and I can't see how they're relevant to the practise of moral discipline. What's wrong about eating at a certain time, decorating yourself, singing, and laying on a high bed. I can't see how that hurts anybody else. I'm sure there is a good reason for these precepts, but I don't know them.
"By depending upon this boat like human form,
we can cross the great ocean of suffering.
Since such a vessel will be hard to find again,
there no time to sleep, you fool!"
Shantideva- Guide to the Bodhisattava's way of life
cooran

Re: The 6th, 7th and 8th precept. Why?

Post by cooran »

Hello Charlotte,

8 precepts are usually observed by lay people on important Buddhist days or during a retreat.

This thread may be helpful.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=86

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is a refinement of morality for the sake of developing concentration, which is the basis for developing insight.

The Uposatha Observance.

What is the harm in eating at the wrong time, decorating yourself, singing, or lying on a luxurious bed?
  1. Eating without restraint leads to all kinds of health issues. This even affects monks who generally eat only one or at most two meals a day.
  2. Decorating the body by using perfumes, cosmetics, and jewellery may lead to the increase of lust and/or vanity.
  3. Singing or playing music, or listening to them increases heedlessness and sensual attachment. In the Noble One's discipline, singing is likened to lamentation.
  4. Lying on luxurious beds, or sitting in luxurious seats is liable to lead to increase of laziness and sensual attachment.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

The luxurious beds precept is an important one for me when on retreat;
I prefer to get rid of the mattress and instead use a hiking sleeping-mat.
Otherwise I am tempted to sleep late, and also have a nice afternoon snooze.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

As others have said, the precepts here are mostly related to making sure that the mediator has a clear and unimpeded mind. I find that meditation is, for most, far easier when one eats little and avoids things that distract the mind; music,singing, dancing, and other things are not immoral, but they can stir up the mind and keep it from growing calm.

Unless you're on a retreat, or plan to really devote yourself to meditation, it is not necessary to take these precepts. Only the five precepts are necessary for a lay person. However, if you are interested in deepening your concentration, it may be worth checking out.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
charlotte

Post by charlotte »

Thanks everyone, that helps clear things up a bit, but I'm still a bit :shrug: about the 6th precept, why was it made a precept?
"By depending upon this boat like human form,
we can cross the great ocean of suffering.
Since such a vessel will be hard to find again,
there no time to sleep, you fool!"
Shantideva- Guide to the Bodhisattava's way of life
Ben

Post by Ben »

Charlotte,

Go back to the first line in Venerable Pesala's post above and that is the explanation as to why there are an additional three precepts to be observed on uposotha days and during retreats.
The following document may be of benefit for you.
Uposatha Sila: The Eight-Precept Observance
compiled and written by Somdet Phra Buddhaghosacariya (Ñanavara Thera)
translated from the Thai by Bhikkhu Kantasilo

kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

charlotte wrote:Thanks everyone, that helps clear things up a bit, but I'm still a bit :shrug: about the 6th precept, why was it made a precept?
I tend to use the 6th precept as a reminder of how much harm beings do in their nearly constant search for food for themselves and their families. I think that any time I am refraining from food I am hopefully helping to save beings that would have otherwise been destroyed (by accident or not) as a result of the demand created by my additional consumption.

If nothing else, I have noted a distinct improvement in my level of focus on things, particularly at work, if I don't eat after noon, and contrary to what I had expected I'm no more tired when I get home either way. LOL
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I offer that it is because this is a "Dhamma & Discipline", to quote the Buddha, and not just a Dhamma or teaching. Any bodily crookedness, any verbal crookedness, and any mental crookedness, we must abandon as part of this.

Kevin