Introductory resources

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Introductory resources

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:27 am

CedarTree wrote:Check out Bhikkhu Pesala material, he is being modest great resource ;)
Thanks, but Will already quoted my website above, and links appear in my signature in every post. The Books page is probably the best place to start if you're looking for sources.
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

spiritual555

Post by spiritual555 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:24 pm

palicanon.org

JiWe2

Post by JiWe2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:04 am

The Life and Teachings of the Buddha, According to the oldest texts, Compiled from various sources by Allan R. Bomhard (2015)
"This work started out as a revision of the 4th edition (1988) of The Buddha and
His Teachings by Nārada Mahāthera (1898—1983). However, so many changes have
been made and so much new material has been added that it has virtually become a new
book. Indeed, it has more than doubled in size from the original."
https://archive.org/details/AComprehens ... fTheBuddha

Will

Post by Will » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:44 pm

JiWe2 wrote:The Life and Teachings of the Buddha, According to the oldest texts, Compiled from various sources by Allan R. Bomhard (2015)
"This work started out as a revision of the 4th edition (1988) of The Buddha and
His Teachings by Nārada Mahāthera (1898—1983). However, so many changes have
been made and so much new material has been added that it has virtually become a new
book. Indeed, it has more than doubled in size from the original."
https://archive.org/details/AComprehens ... fTheBuddha
Narada's classic book is a favorite of mine, so I did download the PDF of this revision & expansion. Will see how it compares... to buy another fat book or not? Turns out only the PDF is available, as a note at the beginning says:
The Charleston Buddhist Fellowship edition of this work is intended exclusively for use
in private study and is not intended for publication or resale. It is printed for free
distribution and may be copied or reprinted for free distribution, in total or in part,
without written permission.
After a cursory look it appears the expansion is mainly that; Narada's notes and text are only slightly revised if at all. But many other notes and text are added for the benefit of the reader.
Distrust everyone in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!
Nietzsche