devas visited indian people ancient time but not now?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
User avatar
Ordinaryperson
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 pm
Location: West

Re: devas visited indian people ancient time but not now?

Post by Ordinaryperson »

is devas taking human form u talking about? I think devas are bigger than humans
I am not sure if they want to take the human form but in my dream, surprisingly, some are around 7 or 8 feet tall but they can also be normal human height, I know all the Buddhas I dreamed of were very big.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
~Actively trying to destroy the Three Unwholesome Roots of Greed, Hatred and Ignorance~
~ Greed is the greatest danger of them all ~

User avatar
anthbrown84
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:59 am

Re: devas visited indian people ancient time but not now?

Post by anthbrown84 »

DooDoot wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:25 pm
confusedlayman wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:48 pm
sometimes they themselves appear and talk if they find any interest in us!
no. in the suttas, i only recall the devas visited the enlightened ones rather than the puthujjana.
Not true.. Brahmashampati appeared to a monks mother because she was doing worthless offerings of foods to Brahma when her son was an Arahant and much much more worthy of donations...
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate

User avatar
confusedlayman
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 am
Location: Human Realm

Re: devas visited indian people ancient time but not now?

Post by confusedlayman »

anthbrown84 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:24 am
DooDoot wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:25 pm
confusedlayman wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:48 pm
sometimes they themselves appear and talk if they find any interest in us!
no. in the suttas, i only recall the devas visited the enlightened ones rather than the puthujjana.
Not true.. Brahmashampati appeared to a monks mother because she was doing worthless offerings of foods to Brahma when her son was an Arahant and much much more worthy of donations...
what sutta? i need to read the story
You can become king of world with all the wealth but it is not equal to 0.1 % of jhana pleasure...

kalyana.mitta
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:36 am

Re: devas visited indian people ancient time but not now?

Post by kalyana.mitta »

confusedlayman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:41 pm
ancient time in india both in hindu as well as buddhist tradition, devas visited them to tell even small matter but now no one sees them nor deva appear before them voluntierly. why is this ?
Why would devas visit the human world in today's horrible condition, where only a small percent of people do good things when instead, they can enjoy their well-earned divine pleasures?

A world filled with humans who perform so many unwholesome deeds are repulsive to devas.

But also:
Catumahārāja Sutta AN 3.37 wrote:
...on the eighth of the fortnight, the ministers and assembly members of the four great kings wander over this world, thinking: ‘We hope there are many people who behave properly toward their mother and father, behave properly toward ascetics and brahmins, honor the elders of the family, observe the uposatha, keep the extra observance days, and do meritorious deeds.’ (2) On the fourteenth of the fortnight, the sons of the four great kings wander over this world, thinking: ‘We hope there are many people who behave properly toward their mother and father … … and do meritorious deeds.’ (3) On the fifteenth, the uposatha day, the four great kings themselves wander over this world, thinking: ‘We hope there are many people who behave properly toward their mother and father … and do meritorious deeds.’
'...the four great kings report this to the Tāvatiṃsa devas when they meet and are sitting together in the Sudhamma council hall...'
From this sutta, you can see that even today, devas do indeed come to the human world, but not really to reveal themselves to humans.
Jayanti wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:55 pm
tamdrin wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:46 pm
Maybe because India used to be more pure than it Is today. A time when more people followed the dhamma.
This is true.
I agree. People did so many wholesome things and most were reborn in heavenly worlds. Now the world is filled with most people who do unwholesome things and get reborn in bad destinations.

Namo Buddhaya!
"Whatever treasure in this world or in other any worlds, whatever precious jewel there is in the heavens, none is equal to the Buddha. In the Buddha is this precious jewel. By there truth, may there be wellbeing."
:candle: Ratana Sutta | Sn 2.1 :candle:

kalyana.mitta
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:36 am

Re: devas visited indian people ancient time but not now?

Post by kalyana.mitta »

confusedlayman wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:41 pm
ancient time in india both in hindu as well as buddhist tradition, devas visited them to tell even small matter but now no one sees them nor deva appear before them voluntierly. why is this ?
Why would devas visit the human world in today's horrible condition, where only a small percent of people do good things when instead, they can enjoy their well-earned divine pleasures?

A world filled with humans who perform so many unwholesome deeds are repulsive to devas.

But also:
Catumahārāja Sutta AN 3.37 wrote:
...on the eighth of the fortnight, the ministers and assembly members of the four great kings wander over this world, thinking: ‘We hope there are many people who behave properly toward their mother and father, behave properly toward ascetics and brahmins, honor the elders of the family, observe the uposatha, keep the extra observance days, and do meritorious deeds.’ (2) On the fourteenth of the fortnight, the sons of the four great kings wander over this world, thinking: ‘We hope there are many people who behave properly toward their mother and father … … and do meritorious deeds.’ (3) On the fifteenth, the uposatha day, the four great kings themselves wander over this world, thinking: ‘We hope there are many people who behave properly toward their mother and father … and do meritorious deeds.’
'...the four great kings report this to the Tāvatiṃsa devas when they meet and are sitting together in the Sudhamma council hall...'
https://suttacentral.net/an3.37/en/bodhi
From this sutta, you can see that even today, devas do indeed come to the human world to examine for people that will be reborn in the heavenly worlds, but not really for the purpose of revealing themselves to humans.

Jayanti wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:55 pm
tamdrin wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:46 pm
Maybe because India used to be more pure than it Is today. A time when more people followed the dhamma.
This is true.
I agree. People did so many wholesome things and most were reborn in heavenly worlds. Now the world is filled with most people who do unwholesome things and get reborn in bad destinations.

Namo Buddhaya!
"Whatever treasure in this world or in other any worlds, whatever precious jewel there is in the heavens, none is equal to the Buddha. In the Buddha is this precious jewel. By there truth, may there be wellbeing."
:candle: Ratana Sutta | Sn 2.1 :candle:

Post Reply