Is everyday karma?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
user99

Is everyday karma?

Post by user99 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Does it excist bad and Good days or are all bad?
I mean is it only a coinicdence the things that happen in life maybe it is because on common days (mun-fri) i have to go to work but not on weekends and holidays.!

Aloka

Re: Is everyday karma?

Post by Aloka » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:39 pm

user99 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:34 pm
I mean is it only a coinicdence the things that happen in life maybe it is because on common days (mun-fri) i have to go to work but not on weekends and holidays.!
Here are some comments from Ajahn Amaro (Abbot of Amaravati Theravada Thai Forest Tradition Monastery)

Ajahn Amaro: "The basic approach in the Theravada is that karma is based on intention. There’s a frequently quoted passage where the Buddha says, “Intention is karma.” Having will, we create karma through body, speech, and mind. The intention is what creates the potency behind the action. The word karma simply means “action,” but usually when people talk about karma in common usage, they mean karma and its result—action and the result of action. The technical word for the result is vipaka, the fruit of the action. So, it’s the things we intend and then act upon that are the key creators of karma. Those actions arising from our intention that happened in the past, we then experience as fruit in the present moment.

Often, though, people think of karma in a very fatalistic way or deterministic way. They’ll say, “It’s my karma,” by which they mean it had to happen that way. That view is antithetical to the Buddhist teachings. The effects of past actions can cause a particular tendency, but the ripening of karma is never fixed. Over and over again in the Pali canon, the Buddha tries to counteract the view that life is created according to an inescapable, determined pattern. Karma preconditions our present experience, but what we do with that is entirely based on the choices we make—and the degree of wisdom or good-heartedness, or greed, hatred, and delusion, we bring to our experience in the present moment."

https://www.lionsroar.com/forum-how-doe ... ally-work/

:anjali:

WindDancer

Post by WindDancer » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:20 am

Aloka wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:39 pm
user99 wrote:
Here are some comments from Ajahn Amaro (Abbot of Amaravati Theravada Thai Forest Tradition Monastery)

Ajahn Amaro: "The basic approach in the Theravada is that karma is based on intention. There’s a frequently quoted passage where the Buddha says, “Intention is karma.” Having will, we create karma through body, speech, and mind. The intention is what creates the potency behind the action. The word karma simply means “action,” but usually when people talk about karma in common usage, they mean karma and its result—action and the result of action. The technical word for the result is vipaka, the fruit of the action. So, it’s the things we intend and then act upon that are the key creators of karma. Those actions arising from our intention that happened in the past, we then experience as fruit in the present moment.

Often, though, people think of karma in a very fatalistic way or deterministic way. They’ll say, “It’s my karma,” by which they mean it had to happen that way. That view is antithetical to the Buddhist teachings. The effects of past actions can cause a particular tendency, but the ripening of karma is never fixed. Over and over again in the Pali canon, the Buddha tries to counteract the view that life is created according to an inescapable, determined pattern. Karma preconditions our present experience, but what we do with that is entirely based on the choices we make—and the degree of wisdom or good-heartedness, or greed, hatred, and delusion, we bring to our experience in the present moment."

https://www.lionsroar.com/forum-how-doe ... ally-work/

:anjali:
:goodpost:
Live Gently....

user99

Post by user99 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:18 pm

So we need to become a hole different person? How to do that? Can i get rid of karma?

user99

Post by user99 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:26 pm

Is it that we Always have totally personal and individual choice to Always choice either the forbidden intention that become the forbidden action or to choice the Good intention that become the Good action?
Or is i only i reacting mind?

I am sorry i posted a question about this subject again. I Will try to improve.

Naga108

Post by Naga108 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:25 am

user99 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:18 pm
So we need to become a hole different person? How to do that? Can i get rid of karma?
You can't erase past negative kamma, but you can "override" past kamma by creating new positive kamma.
"'What am I becoming as the days & nights fly past?'..." (AN 10.48)

:buddha1:

https://www.facebook.com/kovida108

user99

Post by user99 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Sorry i ment can the same kamma come back again?

kalyana.mitta

Post by kalyana.mitta » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:19 am

user99 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:04 pm
Sorry i ment can the same kamma come back again?
if the kamma from that certain action hasn't fully been experienced, then that kamma will continue to affect you until the result of the kamma is over. As to when it will happen, only a Buddha or someone with psychic power can tell. It will either come back to you in this life or a future life.

user99

Post by user99 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:43 pm

Let say i fully experience my kamma. Can i fall down to the same kamma or get even worser kamma?

user99

Post by user99 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm

What does not fully experienced mean?

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:13 pm

user99 wrote:
The Buddha didn’t teach that everything that happens to us is due to kamma. Some things are, others are due to disease, chance, natural disasters etc. He also said that trying to work out what is and isn’t due to kamma will drive you mad.

Best to just accept that intentional actions will have results, and so perfect your morality.
“Lust is a maker of signs. Aversion is a maker of signs. Delusion is a maker of signs.” MN 43

"Rooted in desire, friends, are all phenomena; originating in attention, are all phenomena”
— A. v. 106).

Padipa

Post by Padipa » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 pm

user99 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:18 pm
One must understand actions have consequences. Once grasped, one can (and must) focus upon the consequences of future actions, before actually committing to those actions. Very very gradually, as one's awareness of interconnectedness deepens, so too does one deepen. The new actions, born of wise (hopefully) forethought, gradually bring one to a new reality, one where the self is no longer the absolute monarch commanding actions: rather; in this closer-to-objective reality, one is merely a player (not the player) in a reality of mutual interdependence.

The karma you make is yours: no, you cannot be rid of it, but you can change the direction in which it & you are going.

Padipa

Post by Padipa » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 pm

user99 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:43 pm
Let say i fully experience my kamma. Can i fall down to the same kamma or get even worser kamma?
The choice is yours. Grasping that actions have consequences empowers you to go in whichever directions you desire.

"Say you can,then you can"
"Say you cannot, then you cannot"

Either way, you decide.

kalyana.mitta

Post by kalyana.mitta » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:13 am

Padipa wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 pm
user99 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:43 pm
The choice is yours. Grasping that actions have consequences empowers you to go in whichever directions you desire.
:goodpost:
user99 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm
What does not fully experienced mean?
Every action you do has a result(Kamma). what I meant by "Fully experiencing" is: until the result of the Kamma is fulfilled. (until the price of that action is paid)

user99

Post by user99 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:06 pm

What is karma?