Paritta chanting

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Calahand08

Paritta chanting

Post by Calahand08 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:37 am

Hi I practice Buddhism by myself. Got exposed to Theravada Buddhism online and recently about a year ago I have come across “paritta chanting” and suttas like “maya samaya sutta” chanting online. I started listening because it made my mind very peaceful , especially while driving to work. My question to you is, how is this viewed in Buddhism? Is this good karma, merit accumulation? Is it similar to meditation? What is the benefit of paritta chanting? Thank you in advance for answering my question. Much happiness and may you be well.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Paritta chanting

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Each Paritta Discourse serves a different purpose. Several reflect on the virtues of the Triple Gem, which is tranquillity meditation.

It is best to learn the meaning then one's faith and the effective of the chanting to purify one's mind will be improved.

Paritta Suttas (Protection Discourses).
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

char101

Post by char101 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:32 pm

Paritta means protection. In the sutta the Buddha taught the bhikkhus that are going through a dangerous forest the karaniymetta sutta to protect them from the forest dwellers. In reality I think they are mostly practiced like mantras although theravada does not have mantras.

I think for their purpose the chanter should reflect on their meaning, because the words itself (which is most likely chanted in pali) has no meaning (unless you believe in mantra). Reflecting on their meaning is dhamma vicaya or investigation of dhamma which is part of the 10 meritorious actions (dasapunnakiriyavatthu).

The danger in paritta is if one treat it like a song, or mantra. I think it is silabata paramasa or clinging to ritual.

Calahand08

Post by Calahand08 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:38 am

Thank you.