Have i left my good life (hapiness) i have earned nomatter what?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
user99

Have i left my good life (hapiness) i have earned nomatter what?

Post by user99 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Or can the Most neareste person to the goal do a wrong choice and lose all his merits?

Bundokji

Re: Have i left my good life (hapiness) i have earned nomatter what?

Post by Bundokji » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:48 pm

From my understanding, before stream entry, there is no certainty.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

user99

Post by user99 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:12 pm

What are the sources you base your understanding on?

lavantien

Post by lavantien » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 am

user99 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:16 pm
Or can the Most neareste person to the goal do a wrong choice and lose all his merits?
No, the most nearest person to the goal is a Non-returner (Anagami) already, because if he arrive at the goal he will be the Perfected One (Arahant) with greed, hate and delusion totally uprooted.

If you haven't understand why I recommend you start reading the suttas right now. Starting from DN1 and read all of the DNs. Then proceed to MN2 (you can skip MN1 for now) and read all of the MNs. You should read a few suttas per day for your mind to have time to comtemplate. But in the long run you should read through all of the suttas because most of the Buddha teaching are linked together by many suttas. If you sinceerly read all of them and have a certain degree of intellectual understanding then it is possible that you will gain faith in the Buddha and His teaching, because His teachings provided in the suttas are a consistent and complete body, there is no need for anything outside. Then having intellectual understanding, you apply the teaching in practice and gaining benefit, at this point you have experiental confidence in Him, His teaching and His noble disciples, accompanied by spotless moral conducts (5 precepts), then, there will be no coming back to the hell, animal or the ghost realm. In this way, you will arrive as a certainty in regards to the freedom from lower realms.

And where to start reading right away? I recommend suttacentral.net, they have all DN, MN, SN and AN translated with a uniform voice, and it very easy to search suttas, for example if you want to read DN2 you just go to suttacentral.net/DN2 . Or if you want to read SN 42.10 then just go to suttacentral.net/SN42.10

You may ask, why passing certain threshold (stage of awakening) people are incapable of making certain kinds of choice?

Take example of an ordinary person who have never heard the teaching of the Buddha, he may have this view "this life is the only life, I have to enjoy it to the fullest extend". Then no matter what his argument for morality is, deep down inside he is capable of committing the most gruesome deed when pushed to the edge. He holds firm to his wrong view and possesses the ignorance of the reality as well as lacking of the most basic kinds right view. For another example, a person holds this view "I just need to wash myself in the Ganges river and all my bad deeds will be cleanse" then he can do whatever unskillful thing and then go to wash himself in the Ganges river. Because people who hold firm to wrong views are extreme dangerous, in many suttas the Buddha said who hold firm to their wrong views and haven't abandon them before die are certain of 2 destinies: hell or animal realm.

But take an noble disciple of the Buddha, who hasn't even attained the Stream-entry yet (but is on the way to) has just enough right view to abandon unskillful actions and undertake skillful actions (a.k.a. tenfold rightview), with a certain degree of intellectual understanding of the teaching and firm confidence in the Buddha. Having possess a degree of Right View he then undertake keeping the precepts, and having practice to this extend he is incapable of committing gruesome crimes, furthermore he had faith in the Buddha, hence free from the lower realms. In many suttas (mostly in Sottapati Samyutta - SN ) the Buddha declared this type of people will not be reborn into hell, animal or ghost realm.

And take another noble disciple of the Buddha who is a Non-returner, with greed for sensual pleasure and cruelty totally uprooted, with a very high degree of understanding and wisdom. it's clearly understood that this person is incapable of committing any unskillful/harmful actions (that based on greed, hate or delusion) let alone those wrenched deeds that responsible for falling back.
Then the Teacher, being sympathetic, and having compassion for the whole world,
said to me, “Come, monk!” That was my ordination.
Staying alone in the wilderness, meditating tirelessly,
I have completed what the Teacher taught, just as the victor advised me.

In the first watch of the night, I recollected my past lives.
In the middle watch of the night, I purified my clairvoyance.
In the last watch of the night, I shattered the mass of darkness.