Pali pronunciation

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
frank k

how do you pronounce "aniccā"?

Post by frank k »

Specifically, how is the "i" in "aniccā" supposed to sound? This audio dictionary sounds like the way I usually hear people say it,
http://studies.worldtipitaka.org/audio_ ... ter0=anicc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But according to the pali grammar texts, the short "i" should sound like the "i" in "pin". The typical pronunciation sound like the long ī to me.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
tlichy

Re: Pali pronunciation

Post by tlichy »

After listening some audio samples from links posted -- thank you very much for posting this stuff -- on this thread, I gather that pronunciation of 'a' differs depending on it's place within a word. E.g. in pañha the first occurence of 'a' seems to be pronunced like 'u' in "but" and the second occurence at the end of pañha it sounds more like 'a' in "another". Is this really so or do I just hear it plain wrong?

The audio samples I'm referring to are at http://www.aimwell.org/Help/Pali/pali.html which has been posted on this thread previously.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tlichy wrote:After listening some audio samples from links posted -- thank you very much for posting this stuff -- on this thread, I gather that pronunciation of 'a' differs depending on it's place within a word. E.g. in pañha the first occurence of 'a' seems to be pronunced like 'u' in "but" and the second occurence at the end of pañha it sounds more like 'a' in "another". Is this really so or do I just hear it plain wrong?

The audio samples I'm referring to are at http://www.aimwell.org/Help/Pali/pali.html which has been posted on this thread previously.
No, it is pronounced 'a' as in can.

there are several pronounciation guides around, I have one here
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

A Guide to the Pronunciation of Pāḷi by Ānandajoti Bhikkhu. This was in the OP, but the original layout offers helpful formatting.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
arijitmitter

Post by arijitmitter »

I have written a post [ created an audio file and shared it ] on Pali Pronunciation. Actually it is an audio guide about how to pronounce Pali alphabets. Please find it here,

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17785

Note : I uploaded the first file on July 1. On July 2, I have uploaded a completely rerecorded file which avoids some complexities which occurred in the first one.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I don't have a problem pronouncing ñ when a vowel follows after it, like in pañña (pahn-yuh). But how is one supposed to pronounce ñ when it comes before another consonant, like in papañca? Is the ñ still pronounced like in señor (sen-yor)? So would it be pap-an-yuh-cha? Or for pañha: would it be pahn-yuh-huh? It just sounds kind of uncomfortable.

Basically, is that "nyuh" sound supposed to be pronounced even if a consonant follows after the ñ?

Sorry for the ridiculous syllables but I hope you get the sound I'm trying to imitate. :lol:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Try making it more of a nasal 'n', where you feel a bit more sinus instead of nostril. It's quite close to the m with a dot under it, a la samyutta.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It appears to me Pali alphabet is similar to Sinhala alphabet.
See this Youtube video.
It is free only up to "g"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4poqZC6t2w
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

It helps a lot to hear correct Pali pronunciation. I suggest registering for Pariyatti's Daily Words of the Buddha. Each day you receive a new email with a few verses in both Pali and English, accompanied by a link to an audio recording of a man reciting the Pali verse very beautifully and with perfect pronunciation.

For example, today's quatrain:

So karohi dīpamattano!
Khippaṃ vāyama paṇḍito bhava!
Niddhantamalo anaṅgaṇo,
na punaṃ jātijaraṃ upehisi.

Audio: http://host.pariyatti.org/dwob/dhammapada_18_238.mp3

Translation:
Make an island unto yourself!
Strive hard and become wise!
Rid of impurities and cleansed of stain,
you shall not come again to birth and decay.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Great Rowboat! :twothumbsup:
You are not unemployed any more.
You found a great job, if you want to take it!
Sorry it is unpaid!
;)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

:thanks:
ElissaJ

Post by ElissaJ »

Hi everyone.

Is there a place where there is a Pali / English dictionary that includes either an audio of the word or a pronunciation guide for that word (like in good old Webster's English dictionaries)?

Thanks!
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

ElissaJ wrote:Hi everyone.

Is there a place where there is a Pali / English dictionary that includes either an audio of the word or a pronunciation guide for that word (like in good old Webster's English dictionaries)?
I doubt it for there isn't any need for it. For English words one needs such a thing because their pronunciation is so vagarious, but this is not at all the case with Pali words. Once one has learned the rules of Pali pronunciation —which can be done with just a few hours study and practice— there will be no Pali words that one cannot pronounce correctly.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

David N. Snyder wrote:Here is a good one from Dhamma Wheel member Bhikkhu Pesala with audio sound:

http://www.aimwell.org/Help/Pali/pali.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Pali Pronunciation Page has moved to here.

Later, I will updated it to look like this page.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

That's a good point, Bhante Dhammanando, and, actually, it seems that English is one of the least phonetic languages. Pali, Thai, etc, are certainly much more phonetic.

However, there are some regional variations in Pali pronunciation. I'm most familiar with the Thai pronunciation, and can do passable renditions of that style. However, Sri Lankans and Burmese have some significant differences. For example, to my ear, the "a" at the end of "sammasambuddhassa" comes out as (a short) "ah" from Thais, but more of an "err" from Sri Lankans (I'm not sure about Burmese). Of course, the nature of chanting together is that the participants need to listen and adapt to each others pronunciation and rhythm.

Again, that rhythm varies. Having become used to the rather bouncy Thai rhythms, I find that the style of recordings from the Western Ajan Chah monasteries tends to sound rather ponderous (in musical terminology, "square"). This appears to be a result of them mixing in some aspects of Gregorian chants, and the "swing" that the Thais' have also has something to do with the tonal emphasis implied by their script.

Anyway, I think that the best way to learn to chant Pali is to do it the old fashioned way, by chanting along with competent chanters (or recordings if none are available).

:anjali:
Mike