Pali Term: Sati

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

acinteyyo

Re: Pali Term: Sati

Post by acinteyyo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:56 pm

I second that! :goodpost: Dmytro :thanks:
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:08 am

acinteyyo wrote:I second that! :goodpost: Dmytro :thanks:
Thirded. I am glad to see you posting again, Dmytro.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

ToVincent

Post by ToVincent » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:38 pm

"Sati" has two meanings:

1- from the Vedic smṛti स्मृति (√ smṛ), meaning "thinking upon" (calling to mind, ~"mindful") [TĀr. ChUp. MBh.]. It can be being mindful of (thinking upon) the breath. Or being mindful of not letting the external akusala get in, etc.

2- from सति sati = साति sāti = सन्ति santi = gaining , obtaining , acquisition (RV.)

Sati as "obtention", "acquisition".

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Smṛ or Spṛ ?
स्मृ  smṛ = vario lectio (v.l.) for √ spṛ 
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

स्पृ  √ spṛ  (v.l. [ stṛ ] and [ smṛ ] )

- to release , extricate or deliver from (abl.), save, gain, win  RV. TS. Br. TUp.

- Caus. [ spāráyati ] , to attract to one's self, win TBr. ; to preserve, save, rescue ib. ; 

- to gladden, delight, gratify, bestow  Dhātup.

The second meaning, viz. "obtention", is seen in the extract:
Paṇidhāya parimukhaṃ satiṃ upaṭṭhapetvā.

Intending (paṇidhāya) towards the beginning (parimukhaṃ), and having looked after (upaṭṭhapetvā) the obtention (sati) [of Citta].

OR again in this extract:

Yet he is covetous - inflamed by lust for sensual pleasance - with a mind (citta) full of enmity - with intentions (mana-saṅkappo) corrupted by hate - negligent about the obtention [of (a free) citta] - lacking clear comprehension - not well set (located, settled [in citta]) - (with a) scatter-mind (citta) - loose in his/her sense faculties.

So ca hoti abhijjhālu kāmesu tibbasārāgo byāpannacitto paduṭṭhamanasaṅkappo muṭṭhassati asampajāno asamāhito vibbhantacitto pākatindriyo.
SN 22.80

----------

Usually, the first meaning of sati is used in the context of seclusion from the external. That is to say, remembering the Teaching to prevent the "attacks" from the external (see SN 35.238 & SN 35.245).

The closer one is to samādhi (https://justpaste.it/5x298), the closer one is to the second meaning of sati.
Also, it is remarkable to notice how citta has to be gladdened (as per the Dhātup definition above,) to reach cetaso ekodibhāva and cetovimutti, in ānāpānasati and jhāna (https://justpaste.it/69jp3).
Some working for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; some for the Unborn.
In this world with its ..., māras, ... in this population with its ascetics.... (AN 5.30).
------
We are all possessed - more or less.
------
And what, bhikkhu, is inward rottenness? Here someone is immoral, one of evil character, of impure and suspect behaviour, secretive in his acts, no ascetic though claiming to be one, not a celibate though claiming to be one, inwardly rotten, corrupt, depraved. This is called inward rottenness.”
SN 35.241
------
https://justpaste.it/j5o4