Pali word of the day

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Anicca

Re: Pali word of the day

Post by Anicca »

Is it the Thai dialect that does tom-mah for dhama? Should it be dom-mah? Buddho = Boo-doe or bood-hoe
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Anicca wrote:Is it the Thai dialect that does tom-mah for dhama? Should it be dom-mah? Buddho = Boo-doe or bood-hoe
I don't know. I think it is just DHA - MMA. I'm not familiar with the Thai dialects.

Maybe Dukkhanirodha, Kare, or one of the other Pali experts would know for sure.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Anicca wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:b = b as in bat; not p
Gotcha! i've got a Thai friend that uses the Thai throaty 'ph' for 'bh' and to me his 'b' sounds like a 'p'.

bhagavā - buddho
bah-guh-wah and boo-toe works?
If I could add something...

That's what I tend to hear at the Wat too. The thing is, for a native English speaker the bh, which is an aspirated b, tends to sound like a "p" because in English most"b" sounds (as in "bet") are unaspirated and most "p" sounds (as in "paw") are aspirated. So we tend to associate the aspiration, or lack, with p and b respectively.

Asian languages like Thai has aspirated and unaspirated versions, i.e. b, bh, p, ph. It's not easy for me to tell the difference. The Thai word for "spicy" is pronounced "pet" (unaspirated p) which is hard to distinguish from "bet" (unaspirated b), which means "duck".

Same problem with t, th, d, dh....

Mike
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

To my crude western ears " Buddho" as pronounced by a Thai sounds like " Puddho" which is somehow endearing..
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

Indriya
(From The Dhamma Encyclopedia)

Indriya: 'abilities', is a name for 22, partly physical, partly mental, phenomena often treated in the Suttas as well as in the Abhidhamma. They are:
6 Bases āyatana :
1. eye: cakkhu 2. ear: sota 3. nose: ghāna 4. tongue: jivhā 5. body: kāya 6. mind: mano
Gender bhava :
7. femininity: itthi 8. masculinity: purisa 9. vitality: jīvita
5 Feelings vedanā q. v.
10. bodily pleasant feeling: sukha 11. bodily pain: dukkha 12. gladness: somanassa 13. sadness: domanassa 14. indifference: upekkhā
5 Spiritual Abilities see: bala
15. faith: saddhā 16. energy: viriya 17. awareness or mindfulness:sati 18. concentration:samādhi 19. understanding: paññā
3 supra-mundane Abilities
20. the assurance: 'I shall know what I did not yet know!': aññātañ-ñassāmīt' indriya 21. the ability of highest knowledge: aññindriya 22. the ability of him who knows: aññātāvindriya
1-5, 7-8 are physical; 9 is either physical or mental. All the rest are mental. - 14 see: upekkhā is here merely indifferent feeling = adukkha-m-asukhā vedanā i.e. 'neither pleasant nor unpleasant feeling' and not identical with that highly ethical state of equanimity = tatramajjhattatā i.e. 'keeping everywhere the middle', the equipoise of mind, also called upekkhā which belongs to the group of mental constructions sankhāra-khandha see: Tab II. - 20 arises at the moment of entering the Sotāpatti-path sotāpatti-magga 21 on reaching the Sotāpatti-Fruition sotāpatti-phala 22 at attaining the Arahat-Fruition arahatta-phala For the three last, see: ariya-puggala
The abilities, excepting 7 and 8, form one of the 24 conditions paccaya 6.
In Vibh. V all these abilities are treated in the above order, whereas see: XLVIII enumerates and explains them by way of the above indicated groups, leaving only 20-22 unexplained. See Vis XVI
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Upādāna

'clinging', 'attachment', according to Vis.M XVII, is an intensified degree of craving tanhā. The 4 kinds of clinging are: sense-clinging kāmupādāna, clinging to views ditthupādāna clinging to mere rules and ritual sīlabbatupādāna, clinging to the personality-belief atta-vādupādāna.

1;What now is the sense-clinging? Whatever with regard to sense-objects there exists of sense-lust, sense-desire, sense-attachment, sense-passion, sense-confusedness, sense-mental chains: this is called sense-clinging.

2 What is the clinging to views? 'Food and offerings are useless; there is no fruit and result for good and bad deeds: all such view and wrong conceptions are called the clinging to views.

3;What is the clinging to mere rules and ritual? The holding firmly to the view that through mere rules and ritual one may reach purification: this is called the clinging to mere rules and ritual.

4;What is the clinging to the personality-belief? The 20 kinds of ego-views with regard to the groups of existence see: sakkāya-ditthi these are called the clinging to the personality-belief; Dhs. 1214-17.

This traditional fourfold division of clinging is not quite satisfactory. Besides kamupādāna we should expect either rūpupādāna and arūpupādāna or simply bhavupādāna Though the Anāgāmī is entirely free from the traditional 4 kinds of upādāna he is not freed from rebirth, as he still possesses bhavupādāna The Com. to Vis.M XVII, in trying to get out of this dilemma, explains kāmupādāna as including here all the remaining kinds of clinging.

Clinging' is the common rendering for u., though 'grasping' would come closer to the literal meaning of it, which is 'uptake'; see: Three Cardinal Discourses WHEEL 17, p.19.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Bhava

'becoming', 'process of existence', consists of 3 planes: sense-existence kāma-bhava, fine-material existence rūpa-bhava, immaterial existence arūpa-bhava. Cf. loka.

The whole process of existence may be divided into two aspects:

1. Kamma-making kamma-bhava, i.e. the kammically active side of existence, being the cause of rebirth and consisting in advantageous and disadvantageous intentional actions. See Kamma, paticca-samuppāda IX.
2. Kamma-produced rebirth, or regenerating process uppattibhava, i.e. the kammically passive side of existence consisting in the arising and developing of the kamma-produced and therefore morally neutral mental and bodily phenomena of existence. Cf. Tab. - App..

Bhāva: feminine and masculine 'nature', refers to the sexual characteristics of the body, and belongs to the group of materiality see: khandha. It is a commentarial term for the abilities of femininity and masculinity, see Indirya (above).
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Jāti

'birth', comprises the entire embryonic process beginning with conception and ending with parturition.

The birth of beings belonging to this or that order of beings, their being born, their conception okkanti and springing into existence, the manifestation of the groups materiality, feeling, perception, mental constructions, consciousness; the acquiring of their sensitive organs: this is called birth.
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

Here is the formula for undertaking the first pancasila:

Pānātipātā veramanī sikkhāpadam samādiyāmi

Pānātipātā
pana = Skt. [Sanskrit] prana - life breath
ati + pat = attack
pat from patati - to fly, to fall. (From this, Latin praepes - quick, peto - to go for, impetus, attack, etc.) To fall, jump, fall down on.
Panatipata = to cause prana to fall; to attack life breath.

veramanī
abstinence

sikkhāpadam
training rule, moral precept

samādiyāmi
undertake

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I favour "rule of training " which has the sense of a process rather than a static "rule"..
:anjali:
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

PeterB wrote:I favour "rule of training " which has the sense of a process rather than a static "rule"..
pāda: foot
pādaka: foundation or a basis
sikkhā: study; discipline
sikkhana: learning; training

so "foundation for the training" should be appropriate

I think there is indeed the idea - not of being static - but of stability. Once one adopted completely the rule it becomes stable and strong, so that the training can begin on this basis.

_/\_

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Dukkhanirodha wrote:
PeterB wrote:I favour "rule of training " which has the sense of a process rather than a static "rule"..
pāda: foot
pādaka: foundation or a basis
sikkhā: study; discipline
sikkhana: learning; training

so "foundation for the training" should be appropriate

I think there is indeed the idea - not of being static - but of stability. Once one adopted completely the rule it becomes stable and strong, so that the training can begin on this basis.

_/\_
Interesting... :anjali:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

David N. Snyder wrote:Upādāna

'clinging', 'attachment', according to Vis.M XVII, is an intensified degree of craving tanhā. The 4 kinds of clinging are: sense-clinging kāmupādāna, clinging to views ditthupādāna clinging to mere rules and ritual sīlabbatupādāna, clinging to the personality-belief atta-vādupādāna.

1;What now is the sense-clinging? Whatever with regard to sense-objects there exists of sense-lust, sense-desire, sense-attachment, sense-passion, sense-confusedness, sense-mental chains: this is called sense-clinging.

2 What is the clinging to views? 'Food and offerings are useless; there is no fruit and result for good and bad deeds: all such view and wrong conceptions are called the clinging to views.

3;What is the clinging to mere rules and ritual? The holding firmly to the view that through mere rules and ritual one may reach purification: this is called the clinging to mere rules and ritual.

4;What is the clinging to the personality-belief? The 20 kinds of ego-views with regard to the groups of existence see: sakkāya-ditthi these are called the clinging to the personality-belief; Dhs. 1214-17.

This traditional fourfold division of clinging is not quite satisfactory. Besides kamupādāna we should expect either rūpupādāna and arūpupādāna or simply bhavupādāna Though the Anāgāmī is entirely free from the traditional 4 kinds of upādāna he is not freed from rebirth, as he still possesses bhavupādāna The Com. to Vis.M XVII, in trying to get out of this dilemma, explains kāmupādāna as including here all the remaining kinds of clinging.

Clinging' is the common rendering for u., though 'grasping' would come closer to the literal meaning of it, which is 'uptake'; see: Three Cardinal Discourses WHEEL 17, p.19.
It is not clear to me how the literal meaning would compute..I realise that is why we normally find the translations "clinging" or "grasping".."uptake" seems odd. The usual modern Englishusage is as in the number of places filled in a new degree course.."the uptake is 78 % " for example..I cant quite get my head around in usage in this context..any offers anyone ?
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

PeterB wrote:any offers anyone ?
The Three Cardinal Discourses (WHEEL 17) offers:
CLINGING: an unsatisfactory and inadequate, but accepted rendering for the Pali upadana. The word means literally "taking up" (upa plus adana; compare the Latin assumere from ad plus sumere.) By first metaphor it is used for the assumption and consumption that satisfies craving and produces existence. As such it is the condition sine qua non for being. What is consumed (or assumed) is the categories (q.v.). The word "clinging" has to represent this meaning. Clinging's ending is nibbana.
from this it seems that uptake may be literally appropriate for taking up / upa + adana, but not for the everyday english usage of uptake.

hope this helps
metta
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Somewhat related:

āsajjana

attachment