Digital Pali Reader (DPR) software program.

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
pt1

Re: Digital Pali Reader (DPR) software program.

Post by pt1 »

yuttadhammo wrote: Heck, if you'd like to inherit the project, I would be happy to pass it off on you :)
:) Thanks Bhante, I'll gladly accept - in a couple of years - when my javascript is up to scratch, and if you don't find a more suitable candidate in the meantime.

Thanks again for your good work.

Best wishes
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

Just a note that the Abhidhammattha Sangaha is now included in the DPR, and we're at our first Beta release :twothumbsup:
yuttadhammo

Post by yuttadhammo »

Just another update, now the DPR can export html files from sections or even groups of sections, and can analyze Pali text from a webpage as well.
Kare

Post by Kare »

Please accept my deeply felt thanks for this software! During my work translating the Majjhima Nikaya into Norwegian, I mainly use this DPR text now, although I still keep my Bangkok edition of the Pali Tipitaka open at my desk for comparison.

I have one question. Maybe I have not explored the software enough, but I have not yet found a way of keeping three windows open: 1. the Tipitaka, 2. the commentary text, linked to the relevant paragraph in the Tipitaka, and 3. the dictionary. Is this possible?

:anjali:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

May I note one thing about the use of C#: it's not neccesarily a windows only application. You can use mono to be cross-platform: http://mono-framework.com/Main_Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone needs help with C#, Javascript or HTML: I'm a professional C# developer and have also extensive experience with Javascript (including jquery) and HTML. I might contribute to that codeplex project if so desired. :)
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
BKh

Post by BKh »

Kare wrote:I have one question. Maybe I have not explored the software enough, but I have not yet found a way of keeping three windows open: 1. the Tipitaka, 2. the commentary text, linked to the relevant paragraph in the Tipitaka, and 3. the dictionary. Is this possible?
What version are you using? the current one is 2.5. The dictionary and search have been opening automatically in their own windows since at least 2.0. You should be able to do a ctrl-click on any link to a text, dictionary item or search result and have it open in a new tab. If you shift-click it will open the text in a pane side by side with the current text.

If you are upgrading an old version, be sure to read the help file as there are tons of new features.

Many thanks to Ven. Yuttadhammo for all the time he has spent making this valuable tool.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Just installed the android version. Nice work :D
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Kare

Post by Kare »

BKh wrote:
Kare wrote:I have one question. Maybe I have not explored the software enough, but I have not yet found a way of keeping three windows open: 1. the Tipitaka, 2. the commentary text, linked to the relevant paragraph in the Tipitaka, and 3. the dictionary. Is this possible?
What version are you using? the current one is 2.5. The dictionary and search have been opening automatically in their own windows since at least 2.0. You should be able to do a ctrl-click on any link to a text, dictionary item or search result and have it open in a new tab. If you shift-click it will open the text in a pane side by side with the current text.

If you are upgrading an old version, be sure to read the help file as there are tons of new features.

Many thanks to Ven. Yuttadhammo for all the time he has spent making this valuable tool.
Thank you for the advice. Now I've updated to 2.5, and it works fine!

And thank you once more, Ven. Yuttadhammo!

:bow:
Mettāya,
Kåre
piotr

Post by piotr »

Kare wrote:And thank you once more, Ven. Yuttadhammo!
Yes, this software is amazing. :anjali:
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
khantibalo

Post by khantibalo »

I decided to rewrite my windows-only reader application http://palitextreader.codeplex.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to java platform.
Here is an early alpha version:
http://code.google.com/p/jpalireader/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is going to be similar in most aspects to the previous version, with the following new features:
- cross-platform (100% java). should run on any platform with java support.
- two horizontal panes to open the books in. You can choose the pane in the "open book" dialog. move the divider to set pane sizes. very useful to compare passages.
- multi-language support. currently, it supports english and russian user interface. language is detected from the operating system settings.

This is an alpha version recommended for experienced computer users only. Not all features are there yet, but the most important are already implemented.
I have tested it on Windows and Linux. I want to know if it runs on MacOS and Android.
Upasaka Khantibalo
khantibalo

Post by khantibalo »

khantibalo wrote: Here is an early alpha version:
http://code.google.com/p/jpalireader/
There is now a release version together with user manual in both languages
http://code.google.com/p/jpalireader/
Upasaka Khantibalo
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

vinasp wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:27 pm I was wondering if anyone else here is using the Digital Pali Reader program. It works in conjunction with the Firefox browser in offline mode. Learning to use it seems to be quite difficult (at least for me!). I thought that it might be usefull to share tips about how to do things.
Nowadays it won't work with Firefox, - and I am delighted to discover that it works with a fork called Waterfox.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/
Kare

Post by Kare »

Dmytro wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:04 pm
vinasp wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:27 pm I was wondering if anyone else here is using the Digital Pali Reader program. It works in conjunction with the Firefox browser in offline mode. Learning to use it seems to be quite difficult (at least for me!). I thought that it might be usefull to share tips about how to do things.
Nowadays it won't work with Firefox, - and I am delighted to discover that it works with a fork called Waterfox.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/
Thanks a lot for suggestion Waterfox, Dmytro! Works like a dream! :bow:
Mettāya,
Kåre