Why is Pāli pipāsā (f) found as pipāso?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Ṭhānuttamo

Why is Pāli pipāsā (f) found as pipāso?

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Dear all,
I wonder abot the the occurence of the word pipāso in the sentence: pipāso pivaṃ papāgato.

All the dictionaries I can consult give only a feminine form pipāsā (thirst). So I wonder now why we find pipāso. Is it a masculine form not noted or how does the -so ending come to be in a feminine noun?

I hope for some assistance. Much thanks.
Volo

Re: Why is Pāli pipāsā (f) found as pipāso?

Post by Volo »

It seems pipāso here is an adjective (thirsty while drinking). Warder (p. 352) says pipāsa can be an adjective:
IMG_20190102_191241.png
Attachments
IMG_20190102_191536.png
Volo

Post by Volo »

Also to keep in mind (although I don't think it's relevant in OP example) that gender in Pali can be somewhat flexible.
From Geiger:
* Neut in -a are often treated as masc and vice versa.
* Fem in -ā are sometimes confused with neut in -a.
* Neut. in -as often treated as masc: tapo sukho (instead of sukhaṃ)
* Some other examples: kucchi (masc) "womb" has also fem forms kucchiyā, kucchiyaṃ. || sāli (masc) "rice" also has Acc Pl sāliyo. || dhātu (masc) has forms Nom, Acc Pl dhātuyo, Ins Sg dhātuyā. || massu (masc) "beard" has Gen Sg massuyā, etc
Ṭhānuttamo

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Volo wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:46 pm It seems pipāso here is an adjective (thirsty while drinking). Warder (p. 352) says pipāsa can be an adjective:
Thank you Volo, both your posts are very insightful. I wonder about his source though, perhaps his aquaintance with the texts and his knowledge about morphology ... What do you think?

Mettā
Volo

Post by Volo »

A. Bhikkhu wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:17 am Thank you Volo, both your posts are very insightful. I wonder about his source though, perhaps his aquaintance with the texts and his knowledge about morphology ... What do you think?
Could be. Warder also used Saddanīti for reference, it might be from there...