7sb and jhana pericope in DN 2 through DN 12?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
frank k

7sb and jhana pericope in DN 2 through DN 12?

Post by frank k »

Most of the suttas from DN 3 - DN 12 are severely elided, and I believe they're all meant to refer back to this pericope in DN 2,
But I'm not sure.
Can someone else confirm?
(if you search for paṭhamaṃ jhān in DPR, it will pull up the elided passages)

DN 2, is probably the most detailed sutta we have on the gradual training.
In this translation, I’ve numbered the 7sb in round parenthesis. (1,2,3) refer to sati, dhamma-vicaya, viriya-sambojjhanga.

sati remembers the Dhamma teaching on 5niv (5 hindrances)
dhamma-vicaya explores and investigates the Dhamma teaching on 5niv
viriya-sambojjhanga is the vigor awakening factor, executing the Dhamma instructions in remove the 5niv, and raise all kusala Dhammas (akusala dhamma pahanaya, kusala dhamma upasampadaya).
7sb samādhi-sam-bojjhanga = 4 jhānas
DN 2 (B.Sujato trans.)
(1, 2, 3) Tassime pañca nīvaraṇe pahīne attani samanupassato (1, 2, 3) Seeing that the hindrances have been given up in them,
pāmojjaṃ jāyati, joy springs up.
(4) pa-muditassa pīti jāyati, (4) Being joyful, rapture springs up.
(5) pīti-manassa kāyo passambhati, (5) When the mind is full of rapture, the body becomes tranquil.
Passaddha-kāyo sukhaṃ vedeti, When the body is tranquil, they feel bliss.
(6) sukhino cittaṃ samādhiyati. (6) And when blissful, the mind becomes immersed.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Assaji

Re: 7sb and jhana pericope in DN 2 through DN 12?

Post by Assaji »

Hi Frank,
frank k wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:30 pm Most of the suttas from DN 3 - DN 12 are severely elided, and I believe they're all meant to refer back to this pericope in DN 2,
But I'm not sure.
Can someone else confirm?
(if you search for paṭhamaṃ jhān in DPR, it will pull up the elided passages)
Yes, these suttas repeat a significant part of Sāmaññaphala sutta.
frank k wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:30 pmDN 2, is probably the most detailed sutta we have on the gradual training.
In this translation, I’ve numbered the 7sb in round parenthesis. (1,2,3) refer to sati, dhamma-vicaya, viriya-sambojjhanga.

sati remembers the Dhamma teaching on 5niv (5 hindrances)
dhamma-vicaya explores and investigates the Dhamma teaching on 5niv
viriya-sambojjhanga is the vigor awakening factor, executing the Dhamma instructions in remove the 5niv, and raise all kusala Dhammas (akusala dhamma pahanaya, kusala dhamma upasampadaya).
7sb samādhi-sam-bojjhanga = 4 jhānas
DN 2 (B.Sujato trans.)
(1, 2, 3) Tassime pañca nīvaraṇe pahīne attani samanupassato (1, 2, 3) Seeing that the hindrances have been given up in them,
pāmojjaṃ jāyati, joy springs up.
(4) pa-muditassa pīti jāyati, (4) Being joyful, rapture springs up.
(5) pīti-manassa kāyo passambhati, (5) When the mind is full of rapture, the body becomes tranquil.
Passaddha-kāyo sukhaṃ vedeti, When the body is tranquil, they feel bliss.
(6) sukhino cittaṃ samādhiyati. (6) And when blissful, the mind becomes immersed.
Yes, I've written about this sequence at:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5582
frank k

Post by frank k »

thanks for the confirming the elision Dmytro!

That DN sequence, -5niv (hindrances) + 7sb (awakening factors) + 4j (jhanas)

That appears in one third of the suttas in DN.
That sequence pretty much equates samadhi-sambojjhanga with the 4 jhanas.
That's the way I always understood it, but besides that sequence, it's hard to find in the suttas an explicit declaration of that.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

frank k wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:30 pm That sequence pretty much equates samadhi-sambojjhanga with the 4 jhanas.
That's the way I always understood it, but besides that sequence, it's hard to find in the suttas an explicit declaration of that.
Well, for me, the main definition is a sufficient proof.
"And what, monks, is right concentration? (i) There is the case where a monk — quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful (mental) qualities — enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. (ii) With the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, he enters & remains in the second jhana: rapture & pleasure born of concentration, unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation — internal assurance. (iii) With the fading of rapture, he remains equanimous, mindful, & alert, and senses pleasure with the body. He enters & remains in the third jhana, of which the Noble Ones declare, 'Equanimous & mindful, he has a pleasant abiding.' (iv) With the abandoning of pleasure & pain — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — he enters & remains in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither pleasure nor pain. This, monks, is called right concentration."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html