Anapanasati sutta: assasāmī and passasāmī ???

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
DooDoot

Anapanasati sutta: assasāmī and passasāmī ???

Post by DooDoot »

Dear Pali gurus

MN 118 includes the terms assasāmī and passasāmī, as follows:
When breathing in heavily they know: ‘I’m breathing in heavily.’ When breathing out heavily they know: ‘I’m breathing out heavily.’

Dīghaṃ vā assasanto ‘dīghaṃ assasāmī’ti pajānāti, dīghaṃ vā passasanto ‘dīghaṃ passasāmī’ti pajānāti;

https://suttacentral.net/mn118/en/sujato
The Sutta Central Pali reader says these terms are from assasati and passasanta.

Are assasāmī and passasāmī compounds that include 'asmi' ('I am')? :shrug:

If so, it seems strange the practise would include reinforcing the sense of "I am" (where SN 22.59, for example, encourages the reflection of "I am not this: nesohamasmi").

Are there other suttas (apart from MN 10, MN 119 and basic meditation) where practise is spoken or written like this, including "I am"?

Thank you

:smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Volo

Re: Anapanasati sutta: assasāmī and passasāmī ???

Post by Volo »

assasāmī’ti = assasāmi + iti.
assasāmi is a 1st person, present tense, singular, i.e. "I'm breathing in".

Iti/ti - is a mark of end of quotation, i.e. the whole phrase indicates what he knows.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Volovsky wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:13 am assasāmi is a 1st person, present tense, singular, i.e. "I'm breathing in".
Thank you V. I suppose I wonder why it was not taught: "When the body breathes in it is known, the body breathes in; When the body breathes out it is known, the body breathes out;". :shrug:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

Volo

Post by Volo »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:57 am Thank you V. I suppose I wonder why it was not taught: "When the body breathes in it is known, the body breathes in; When the body breathes out it is known, the body breathes out;".
Passive voice is not common in Pali (although occurs occasionally). May be since prakrits are simple vernacular languages, there is a tendency to use direct speech.

Or do you mean, why is it in first person "I'm breathing", and not "body breathes"? May be to avoid confusion with other meanings of body (e.g. breath itself is called body). But if I would formulate it I would surely put it impersonally: "the body breathes in" or "there is in-breath", but not "I'm breathing in" in order to avoid any confusion with pranayama-like meditations.
auto

Post by auto »

When breathing in heavily they know: ‘I’m breathing in heavily.’ When breathing out heavily they know: ‘I’m breathing out heavily.’

Dīghaṃ vā assasanto ‘dīghaṃ assasāmī’ti pajānāti, dīghaṃ vā passasanto ‘dīghaṃ passasāmī’ti pajānāti;
https://suttacentral.net/mn118/en/sujato
Whenever a mendicant knows that they breathe heavily, or lightly, or experiencing the whole body, or stilling the body’s motion
—at that time they’re meditating by observing an aspect of the body—keen, aware, and mindful, rid of desire and aversion for the world.
For I say that the in-breaths and out-breaths are an aspect of the body.
That’s why at that time a mendicant is meditating by observing an aspect of the body—keen, aware, and mindful, rid of desire and aversion for the world.
when you know you are breathing in or out + heavily, lightly it is kayasankhara. Imo Sutta is letting you know where you are on a dependent origination chain.
Whenever a mendicant practices breathing while experiencing rapture, or experiencing bliss, or experiencing these emotions, or stilling these emotions—at that time they meditate observing an aspect of feelings —keen, aware, and mindful, rid of desire and aversion for the world.
For I say that close attention to the in-breaths and out-breaths is an aspect of feelings.
That’s why at that time a mendicant is meditating by observing an aspect of feelings—keen, aware, and mindful, rid of desire and aversion for the world.
that is cittasankhara……..that close attention

the goal is to fulfill these places, so if you know that you are on a kayasankhara then you can practice accordingly to get it done, so therefore this practice is fruitful and beneficial.
And how is mindfulness of breathing developed and cultivated so as to fulfill the four kinds of mindfulness meditation?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

auto wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:02 pm kayasankhara. Imo Sutta is letting you know where you are on a dependent origination chain.
Why? Thanks
auto wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:02 pmthat is cittasankhara……..that close attention
Where does the Pali support this idea? Thanks
Kāyesu kāyaññatarāhaṃ, bhikkhave, evaṃ vadāmi yadidaṃ—assāsapassāsā.
Bhikkhus, I say that the in-breaths and the out-breaths are certain bodies among all bodies.
I tell you, monks, that this — the in-&-out breath — is classed as a body among bodies.
I say that this is a certain body among the bodies, namely, in-breathing and out-breathing.

Vedanāsu vedanāññatarāhaṃ, bhikkhave, evaṃ vadāmi yadidaṃ—assāsapassāsānaṃ sādhukaṃ manasikāraṃ.
Bhikkhus, I say that attending carefully in the mind to in-breaths and out-breaths is a certain feeling among all feelings.
I tell you, monks, that this — careful attention to in-&-out breaths — is classed as a feeling among feelings.
For I say that close attention to the in-breaths and out-breaths is an aspect of feelings.
I say that this is a certain feeling among the feelings, namely, giving close attention to in-breathing and out-breathing.

auto

Post by auto »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:09 pm
auto wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:02 pm kayasankhara. Imo Sutta is letting you know where you are on a dependent origination chain.
Why? Thanks
auto wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:02 pmthat is cittasankhara……..that close attention
Where does the Pali support this idea? Thanks
Kāyesu kāyaññatarāhaṃ, bhikkhave, evaṃ vadāmi yadidaṃ—assāsapassāsā.
Bhikkhus, I say that the in-breaths and the out-breaths are certain bodies among all bodies.
I tell you, monks, that this — the in-&-out breath — is classed as a body among bodies.
I say that this is a certain body among the bodies, namely, in-breathing and out-breathing.

Vedanāsu vedanāññatarāhaṃ, bhikkhave, evaṃ vadāmi yadidaṃ—assāsapassāsānaṃ sādhukaṃ manasikāraṃ.
Bhikkhus, I say that attending carefully in the mind to in-breaths and out-breaths is a certain feeling among all feelings.
I tell you, monks, that this — careful attention to in-&-out breaths — is classed as a feeling among feelings.
I say that this is a certain feeling among the feelings, namely, giving close attention to in-breathing and out-breathing.
When you are breathing in&out and knowing that you are breathing in&out then at that time meditation is about observing an aspect of a body.
You can assume that it only happen shortly, maybe seconds but at that time when you know you breathing in and out then your meditation object is aspect of a body.

There are three things,

1. you are breathing in and out
2. if knowing that you are breathing in and out
3. then you are cultivating an aspect of a body

that quote focus on the 2nd part
And how is mindfulness of breathing developed and cultivated so as to fulfill the four kinds of mindfulness meditation?
Whenever a mendicant knows that they breathe heavily, or lightly, or experiencing the whole body, or stilling the body’s motion
—at that time they’re meditating by observing an aspect of the body—keen, aware, and mindful, rid of desire and aversion for the world.
That’s why at that time a mendicant is meditating by observing an aspect of the body—keen, aware, and mindful, rid of desire and aversion for the world.
next quote concerns the 3rd part (here imo you can read out that the moment when you are observing the aspect of a body is 'awakening factor of mindfulness activated')
And how are the four kinds of mindfulness meditation developed and cultivated so as to fulfill the seven awakening factors?
Whenever a mendicant meditates by observing an aspect of the body, at that time their mindfulness is established and lucid. At such a time, a mendicant has activated the awakening factor of mindfulness; they develop it and perfect it.
your quote is about 1st part
When breathing in heavily they know: ‘I’m breathing in heavily.’ When breathing out heavily they know: ‘I’m breathing out heavily.’ When breathing in lightly they know: ‘I’m breathing in lightly.’ When breathing out lightly they know: ‘I’m breathing out lightly.’ They practice breathing in experiencing the whole body. They practice breathing out experiencing the whole body. They practice breathing in stilling the body’s motion. They practice breathing out stilling the body’s motion.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

auto wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:44 am...
I ask you two questions; asking for you to explain or clarify the posts that you made:

1. Why is the term "kayasankhara" letting you know where you are on a dependent origination chain?

2. Why is "cittasankhara" close attention?

Thank you

auto

Post by auto »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:36 pm
auto wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:44 am...
I ask you two questions; asking for you to explain or clarify the posts that you made:

1. Why is the term "kayasankhara" letting you know where you are on a dependent origination chain?

2. Why is "cittasankhara" close attention?

Thank you
1. The Sutta passage is letting you know where you at, and its kayasankhara where you at - when you know that you are breathing in and out. Also i meant casually the quote is about kayasankhara.
2. Close attention is how the mind is applied to the meditation object this way you can know that you are at cittasankhara. If you can't do close attention then you are not at cittasankhara but somewhere else so keep figure out where you at.

Oh, why is citasankhara close attention? if so then citta sankhara is part of feeling.

close attention is cittasankhara, because sankhara is determination and citta is mind, 'close attention' is aspect of mind. And cittasankhara is aspect of feeling.

a and thanks for asking otherwise i wouldn't notice today that "knowing about breathing" then "close attention of breathing" then "aspect of mind" then "aspect of principles"
Volo

Post by Volo »

Perception and feeling are usually called cittasaṅkhārā:
“In-breathing and out-breathing, friend Visākha, are the bodily formation; applied thought and sustained thought are the verbal formation; perception and feeling are the mental formation.”

“assāsapassāsā kho, āvuso visākha, kāyasaṅkhāro, vitakkavicārā vacīsaṅkhāro, saññā ca vedanā ca cittasaṅkhāro”ti

MN 44