A Survey on "Pali scriptures"

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Kumara

A Survey on "Pali scriptures"

Post by Kumara »

When you see the term "Pali scriptures", how do you understand it? I mean, What does the term include?
DooDoot

Re: A Survey on "Pali scriptures"

Post by DooDoot »

Pāli Canon of Vinaya Pitaka, Sutta Pitaka & Abhidhamma Pitaka.

If only referring to Sutta Pitaka, I use the term "Pali suttas".
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

What would say to refer to all sanctioned Theravadin texts (which are in Pali), including the commentaries and subcommentaries?
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Kumara wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:23 am What would say to refer to all sanctioned Theravadin texts (which are in Pali), including the commentaries and subcommentaries?
literature
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:46 am
Kumara wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:23 am What would say to refer to all sanctioned Theravadin texts (which are in Pali), including the commentaries and subcommentaries?
literature
Pali literature? Wonder if that might be a bit too wide. Would it include any text written in Pali, regardless whether it's sanctioned by the Theravadin tradition?
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Kumara wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:21 am
User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:46 am
literature
Pali literature? Wonder if that might be a bit too wide. Would it include any text written in Pali, regardless whether it's sanctioned by the Theravadin tradition?
Theravadin literature, Theravadin Pali literature to be more precise
Last edited by User1249x on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

Kumara wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 am When you see the term "Pali scriptures", how do you understand it? I mean, What does the term include?
I understand it to refer primarily to the suttas & vinaya, secondarily to abhidhamma, tertiarily to commentaries/subcommentaries/etc. As with most things "Buddhist" in my mind, it is a spectrum, and not a binary system.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

User1249x wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:42 pm
Kumara wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:21 am Pali literature? Wonder if that might be a bit too wide. Would it include any text written in Pali, regardless whether it's sanctioned by the Theravadin tradition?
Theravadin literature, Theravadin Pali literature to be more precise
Yes, that would be. Unfortunately, it's too obscure to be used in my book. Thanks anyway.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

What if I say "Theravadin scriptures"? What would you think it means then?
Padipa

Post by Padipa »

I'm not sure if this will help, but it is my understanding that virtually everything written in Pali pertains to Buddhist scripture.
Padipa

Post by Padipa »

Padipa wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 am I'm not sure if this will help, but it is my understanding that virtually everything written in Pali pertains to Buddhist scripture.
Theravada Buddhism has sometimes been referred to as Pali Buddhism, though its adherents are not generally happy with this usage. BEST!
Kumara

[Closed] Re: A Survey on "Pali scriptures"

Post by Kumara »

I'm settling for "Theravādin scriptures". Thanks.