Spoke Destroyer

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Pondera

Spoke Destroyer

Post by Pondera »

I recall reading an old Conze or Davis book where “Arahant” was translated as “spoke destroyer”. But now I find only “worthy one” etc. Anyone know of this “Spoke Destroyer” interpretation?

Thanks.

Pondera
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
pitakele

Re: Spoke Destroyer

Post by pitakele »

Pondera wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:07 am I recall reading an old Conze or Davis book where “Arahant” was translated as “spoke destroyer”. But now I find only “worthy one” etc. Anyone know of this “Spoke Destroyer” interpretation?

Thanks.

Pondera
This translation is based on an etymological gloss by Buddhaghosa (probably in the Visuddhimagga). Literally, ara 'spokes' + hant 'destroyed'. Figuratively, 'spokes of wheel of becoming destroyed' -> 'Non Becomer', for me the most meaningful translation or interpretation of Arahant.
aniccā vata saṇkhārā - tesaṁ vūpasamo sukho
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

:namaste:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

pitakele wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:33 am
Pondera wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:07 am I recall reading an old Conze or Davis book where “Arahant” was translated as “spoke destroyer”. But now I find only “worthy one” etc. Anyone know of this “Spoke Destroyer” interpretation?

Thanks.

Pondera
This translation is based on an etymological gloss by Buddhaghosa (probably in the Visuddhimagga). Literally, ara 'spokes' + hant 'destroyed'. Figuratively, 'spokes of wheel of becoming destroyed' -> 'Non Becomer', for me the most meaningful translation or interpretation of Arahant.
Did you find that translation on the net?
pitakele

Post by pitakele »

Pondera wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:35 pm Did you find that translation on the net?
No, from reading the section 'Recollecting the Enlightened One'
in the 'Path of Purification'*
Now, this wheel of the round of rebirths with its hub made of ignorance and of craving for becoming, with its spokes consisting of formations of merit and the rest, with its rim of ageing and death, which is joined to the chariot of the triple becoming by piercing it with the axle made of the origins of cankers (see M I 55), has been revolving throughout time that has no beginning. All of this wheel’s spokes (ara) were destroyed (hata) by him at the Place of Enlightenment, as he stood firm with the feet of energy on the ground of virtue, wielding with the hand of faith the axe of knowledge that destroys kamma.
* epub download http://www.mediafire.com/file/fen79ehjm ... .epub/file
aniccā vata saṇkhārā - tesaṁ vūpasamo sukho