Just a few questions on pronunciation, spelling and grammar

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Layt

Just a few questions on pronunciation, spelling and grammar

Post by Layt » Fri May 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi everyone, there are a few things I would like to ask you...

How is "R" pronounced in Pāḷi ? The wikipedia page says [ ɻ ], which is basically the English "R". However I'm having trouble believing that such a sound would have existed in a language that features only very basic phonemes, separated into clearly distinct syllables. Pāḷi words look a lot like Japanese words, so I wouldn't be suprised if Pāḷi used the flap/tap [ ɾ ] or the trilled [ r ].

Is the "H" in "Taṇhā" pronounced as a distinct phoneme [ tɐɳha: ] or is it combined with the retroflex "N" to create an aspirate retroflex "N" [ tɐɳʱa: ] ?

Is the standard "H" (in "arahant") the voiceless one [ h ] or the voiced one [ ɦ ] ? The wikipedia page says it's [ h ], but apparently in Sanskrit "H" is [ ɦ ] and "Ḥ" is [ h ] so...

In Pāḷi the short "A" is pronounced [ ɐ ] right ? The wikipedia page says the short "A" in Sanskrit is pronounced [ ə ], I'm a little bit confused as to why these 2 languages would've used 2 different phonemes.

What are the feminine forms of "Māra", "Nāga", "Rakkhasa" and "Asura" ? I would guess "Mārā", "Nāgī "/"Nāginī ", "Rakkhasī " and "Asurī " but I'm not sure.

Are "Yakkhī " and "Yakkhinī " both equally correct ? Or is one of them better/more faithful to Pāḷi ?

By the way the feminine forms like "Bhikkhunī " and "Yakkhinī " use the standard "N" right, not the retroflex "Ṇ" ?

Is the "C" pronounced [ tʃ ] or [ tɕ ] ? Same question for "J", [ dʒ ] or [ dʑ ] ?

How do you write "arahant" in Devanāgarī ?

Thanks for reading ~