Grammatical Rules Regarding "vā"

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Ṭhānuttamo

Grammatical Rules Regarding "vā"

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Greetings.
The grammars I consulted say not much about the general use of Pāli "vā". Is "vā ... vā" always to be rendered "either ... or" or is simple "or" to be preferred? Which regulations exist to help distinguish?

Thank you very much!
Dhammanando

Re: Grammatical Rules Regarding "vā"

Post by Dhammanando »

A. Bhikkhu wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:00 pm .
The English distinction between “either x or y” and “x or y” is merely stylistic, not semantic, and has no equivalent in Pali.

In their discussion of Pali grammarians drew a distinction between vikappana and sampiṇḍana, that is, a disjunctive ‘or’ and a conjunctive ‘and’.

Vikappana
samaṇā vā brāmaṇā vā

Sampiṇḍana
bhūtā vā sambhavesī vā
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā

(Karaṇīyamettasutta)
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Ṭhānuttamo

Re: Grammatical Rules Regarding "vā"

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Dhammanando wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:41 pm In their discussion of Pali grammarians drew a distinction between vikappana and sampiṇḍana, that is, a disjunctive ‘or’ and a conjunctive ‘and’.
Bhante, thank you, invaluable! :anjali:

I find it really surprising and kind of disappointing that such a important distinction is omitted in three grammars (European secondary literature) I consulted ... Maybe in Warder I overlooked it because I went not wholly through it but just use it for reference, flipping through it -- the part on "" didn't contain it however. Do you work with the ancient grammars, if I may ask. Would you see it as essential to turn towards them when wishing to get a sound grasp of the language? Should one regard the modern secondary literature perhaps just as serving by and large as introductions?

Thank you!
Mettā