What is "yeva" modifying here?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Ṭhānuttamo

What is "yeva" modifying here?

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

"[...] tatra ce tumhe assatha kupitā vā anattamanā vā, tumhaṃ yevassa tena antarāyo."

I am confused about which word "yeva" is modifying in the above sentence. My grammar (Duroiselle) tells me that adverbs come before the word they qualify. To my mind to regard this being here also the case speaks the fact that yeva stands in sandhi with assa. (Is this a valid indicator?) The commentary, however, seems to regard it as modifying tumhaṃ: "[...] tumhākaṃyeva tena kopena [...]" supposedly against the statement in my grammar. Are you aware of any rules which are able to settle the issue? How would you assess and read it? Thank you very much!

Mettā
Assaji

Re: What is "yeva" modifying here?

Post by Assaji »

Bhante,

Why do you think "yeva" is an adverb?
Yeva (indecl.) [=eva with accrudescent y from Sandhi. On form and relation between eva & yeva cp. Geiger, P.Gr. § 66, 1. See also eva 2. -- The same form in Prākrit: Pischel, Prk. Gr. § 336] emphatic particle, meaning "even, just, also"; occurring most frequently (for eva) after palatal sounds, as ŋ: Sn 580 (pekkhataŋ yeva), 822 (vivekaŋ); DhA ii.20 (saddhiŋ); PvA 3 (tasmiŋ), 4 (imasmiŋ), 13 (tumhākaŋ); -- further after o: PvA 39 (apanīto yeva); -- after ā: Sn 1004 (manasā yeva); -- after i: S ii.206 (vuddhi yeva); PvA 11 (ahosi); -- after e: J i.82 (vihāre yeva; pubbaṇhe y.); VbhA 135 (na kevalaŋ ete yeva, aññe pi "not only these, but also others"). Cp. Mhvs 22, 56; VvA 222; PvA 47.

http://dsalsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/p ... 1:363.pali
Mettā
Ṭhānuttamo

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Dmytro wrote:Why do you think "yeva" is an adverb?
Dear Dmytro,
I had actually in mind the PED entry of "eva" and the translation as the adverbs "just, also". Duroiselle, too, lists under "Indeclinables" mostly adverbs and I would see it fit only there, the other classes being "Conjunctions" and "Prespositions". Is the syntax not suggesting an adverbial sense besides!? Meseems at least, being allowed hopefully to opine ...

Much Blessings
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Dear Bhante,

You are right, 'eva' is a nipāta, and hence an adverb. Seems like I've been flabbergasted by an idea of "yeva" modifying a following word. Sorry, my thinking isn't quite clear currently.

AFAIK, adverbs don't modify the words. And 'eva', in particular, is often just an extra intranslatable word.

Mettā
Ṭhānuttamo

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Dmytro wrote:Dear Bhante,

You are right, 'eva' is a nipāta, and hence an adverb. Seems like I've been flabbergasted by an idea of "yeva" modifying a following word. Sorry, my thinking isn't quite clear currently.
Perhaps energy was flowing in your recent post on cakkhu etc.? Nicely written and valuable by the way. Thank you for composing. Yeva usually appears modifying a preceding word?
Dmytro wrote:AFAIK, adverbs don't modify the words. And 'eva', in particular, is often just an extra intranslatable word.
I see. Would you mind specifying what you mean when you say that adverbs don't modify words? How would you describe their function? Just in case I am missing here something ...

Mettā
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Dear Bhante,
A. Bhikkhu wrote:Perhaps energy was flowing in your recent post on cakkhu etc.? Nicely written and valuable by the way. Thank you for composing.
Thank you. That was many lifetimes ago, in 2012...
Yeva usually appears modifying a preceding word?
Dmytro wrote:AFAIK, adverbs don't modify the words. And 'eva', in particular, is often just an extra intranslatable word.
I see. Would you mind specifying what you mean when you say that adverbs don't modify words? How would you describe their function? Just in case I am missing here something ...
Evidently, we understood the term 'modify' differently.

Sorry, now I have to take a retreat to sort things out. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will assist you. Let me also invite you to Pali Study Yahoo group, which is very much about grammar.

Mettā
Ṭhānuttamo

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

Dmytro wrote:[...] Sorry, now I have to take a retreat to sort things out. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will assist you. Let me also invite you to Pali Study Yahoo group, which is very much about grammar.
Mettā
Ok, no problem. Thanks for the reference to the Yahoo group, I will have a look at it. I wish you a fruitful retreat.

Mettā