Pali terminology for eye contact in Methuna Sutta?

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Anukampati

Pali terminology for eye contact in Methuna Sutta?

Post by Anukampati »

Today I was looking at a couple of translations of the Methuna Sutta (AN. iv. 53-6), where the Buddha discusses activities over and above explicit sex acts that can pose a problem for those practicing celibacy. Among the seven scenarios listed, one describes a (presumably heterosexual male) monk who, while abstaining from certain other interactions with women, "gazes and stares straight into their eyes" (Bhikkhu Bodhi translation).

By comparison, the translation here http://awake.kiev.ua/dhamma/tipitaka/2S ... ggo-e.html, renders the quoted words above as: "eye to eye meets with a woman."

There seems to be an interesting question here about the intensity of eye contact being described -- is the Buddha proscribing any eye contact at all with certain individuals? -- and I'd be interested in understanding better the specific Pali words being used. I took a look at the Pali here: https://suttacentral.net/pi/an7.50, but unfortunately as a rank beginner I didn't get very far identifying or analyzing the specific sentence in Pali.

Could anyone with greater Pali skills point me to the words in question in the Pali? Any thoughts on how they would typically be translated would be interesting to hear as well.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Pali terminology for eye contact in Methuna Sutta?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Pāḷi phrase in question is: cakkhunā cakkhuṃ upanijjhāyati pekkhati.

The essential meaning is to make eye-contact with sexual desire and delight.

The Buddha's advice to Ānanda given in the Mahāparinibbāna Sutta is as follows:
“Kathaṃ mayaṃ, bhante, mātugāme paṭipajjāmā”ti? “Adassanaṃ, Ānandā”ti. “Dassane, Bhagavā, sati kathaṃ paṭipajjitabba”nti? “Anālāpo, Ānandā”ti. “Ālapantena pana, bhante, kathaṃ paṭipajjitabba”nti? “Sati, Ānanda, upaṭṭhāpetabbā”ti.

“How are we to conduct ourselves, Venerable sir, with regard to women?”
“Do not look at them, Ānanda.”

“However, if we should see them, what should we do?”
“Do not speak to them, Ānanda.”

“However, if we should speak to them, Venerable sir, what should we do?’
“Be mindful, Ānanda.”
So, there is no proscription for monks not to look at women. However, if they do, they should maintain mindfulness.

I find it difficult to teach Dhamma without making eye-contact. I want to know if what has been said has been understood. Are the listeners still paying attention, or have I already said too much? In formal settings of Dhamma teaching in Asia, monks will hold a fan in front of their faces to avoid all eye-contact while teaching the Dhamma.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Anukampati

Post by Anukampati »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The Pāḷi phrase in question is: cakkhunā cakkhuṃ upanijjhāyati pekkhati.
Thanks very much, that's a great help. His advice in the Mahāparinibbāna Sutta seems, as usual, very practical.

In the phrase above, I understand the meanings of cakkhunā, upanijjhāyati and pekkhati, but can you clarify what the word cakkhuṃ conveys?

Also, in the fuller:
api ca kho mātugāmassa cakkhunā cakkhuṃ upanijjhāyati pekkhati
what is the meaning of mātugāmassa?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Frank23 wrote:In the phrase above, I understand the meanings of cakkhunā, upanijjhāyati and pekkhati, but can you clarify what the word cakkhuṃ conveys?

Also, in the fuller:
api ca kho mātugāmassa cakkhunā cakkhuṃ upanijjhāyati pekkhati
what is the meaning of mātugāmassa?
Cakkhuṃ means the eye (accusative case), cakkhunā means with the eye, mātugāmassa means with women.

So he enjoys staring eye to eye with women.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Anukampati

Post by Anukampati »

Great, thanks again for the help.