Pronunciation: Tsun-Kyan-Kse

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
indigofrail

Pronunciation: Tsun-Kyan-Kse

Post by indigofrail »

I believe this name is Pali? Tsun-Kyan-Kse is a goddess from Theravada Buddhism, who was worshiped in parts of ancient Malaysia (Siam). She was a goddess of the transmigrations of souls, who guided the consciousness of the deceased to rebirth in their next body.

Tsun-Kyan-Kse is an obscure goddess, and it is difficult to find any full, in-depth information on her. However, what is really bothering me is that, after some months (years, really) spent researching this goddess, I still can't pronounce her name! Is there anyone out there familiar with this kind of stuff who can help?

Thanks. :sage: :sage:
Assaji

Re: Pronunciation: Tsun-Kyan-Kse

Post by Assaji »

Hi,

No, it's not Pali, and not related to Theravada Buddhism.
indigofrail

Re: Pronunciation: Tsun-Kyan-Kse

Post by indigofrail »

What you are saying is, you have studied Theravada and you have never heard of her?

What we know for sure is that this goddess was worshiped, primarily, in northwestern Burma. Most of the information available online is directly related to a legend concerning the origin of the Sacred Cat of Burma.

For example: https://books.google.de/books?id=08YocI ... ma&f=false

The goddess probably comes from a regional hybrid form of Buddhist, wherein more typical Buddhist beliefs had mixed with some form of animism, or folk religion which had existed in that area before the arrival of Buddhism.

None of the resources I have found provide any sort of clue regarding how the name Tsun Kyan Kse is even pronounced, let alone if she is worshiped by any sect of Buddhism outside of the area of north Burma.