Pali term: Sallatha

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
yyzm3

Pali term: Sallatha

Post by yyzm3 »

While on retreat the last week, the teachers referenced the Sallatha Sutta, often referred to as as "The Second Arrow", and translated as, "The Arrow" or "The Dart".

What is the literal translation of "sallatha"? Is it a compound of the words "salla" + "atha"? I see these two separate words defined as: salla=pain, bringing pain, and atha=excessive longing. From that I would view the word sallatha as "longing from pain", but this is where I could use some help.

Thanks
Buddha Vacana

Re: Pali term: Sallatha

Post by Buddha Vacana »

It seems that sallatha is not a proper Pali word.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This is the Sallattha Sutta on Access to Insight.

My edition of the CSCD Tipitaka refers to it as the Salla Sutta. There's also another Sutta of the same name in the Suttanipāta. The topic is different.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

The word "sallatha" or some variant of it does pop up in the PTS 1894 edition by Feer.

In Vol IV, the title to SN 36.6 is given as Sallattena.

In the Uddāna given at the end of the 1st vagga, the title is listed as Sallatthena.

Apparently, Feer consulted a Burmese and Sinhalese manuscript, as well as a Siamese manuscript of the Commentary.

In addition, Malalasekara's DPPN lists the title as Sallattena, with a variant reading Sallena.
Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana »

:goodpost:

As far as the Burmese edition is concerned, there is no occurence of "sallatha" in the Vinaya or any otf the five nikayas.