chanting sokaparidevadukkhadomanassupāyāsāpi dukkhā in SN 56.11

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Coyote

chanting sokaparidevadukkhadomanassupāyāsāpi dukkhā in SN 56.11

Post by Coyote »

I recently listened to Ajahn Thanissaro's chanting of the Dhammacakkapavattana Sutta, and noticed that in the section giving the definition of the first truth, in between maraṇampi dukkhaṃ and appiyehi sampayogo dukkho they chant sokaparidevadukkhadomanassupāyāsāpi dukkhā, also omitting byādhipi dukkho. With a bit of searching I found that this presentation of the first truth actually seems to be more common. So they chant a 'corrected' version of the sutta?
Anyway, it seems that this also happens with other renditions, especially those of Thai origin, from a quick youtube search, but not others of Sinhalese origin.
Anyone know how this got started or why it is done?
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
mikenz66

Re: chanting sokaparidevadukkhadomanassupāyāsāpi dukkhā in SN 56.11

Post by mikenz66 »

I think the red is the text in question.
jātipi dukkhā, jarāpi dukkhā, byādhipi dukkho, maraṇampi dukkhaṃ, appiyehi sampayogo dukkho, piyehi vippayogo dukkho, yampicchaṃ na labhati tampi dukkhaṃ
https://suttacentral.net/pi/sn56.11/-1

“birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering;
https://suttacentral.net/en/sn56.11/4
The Dhammayut Chanting book, which would be what Ajahn Thanissaro uses, certainly does omit that (I've lost some characters in the cut and paste).
Jatipi dukkha jarapi dukkha maranampi dukkham,
Birth is stressful, aging is stressful, death is stressful.
Soka-parideva-dukkha-domanass’upayasapi dukkha,
sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair are stressful,

Appiyehi sampayogo dukkho piyehi vippayogo
dukkho yam-p’iccham na labhati tampi dukkham.
association with what is unbeloved is stressful, separation from what is
beloved is stressful, not getting what one wants is stressful.
Sankhittena pañcupadanakkhandha dukkha.
In short, the five clinging-aggregates are stressful.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... anting.pdf
It seems to be a difference in editions.

Bhikkhu Bodhi comments:
I follow Be and Se here. Ee includes sokaparidevadukkhadomanass’ upāyāsā, which is found elsewhere in formal definitions of the first truth but lacking in most versions of the first sermon.
  • Be Burmese-script ed. of SN
    Ee Roman-script ed. of SN (for Part 1: Ee1 = 1884 ed.; Ee2 = 1998 ed.)
    Se Sinhala-script ed. of SN
:anjali:
Mike