»ntpi«

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
ChrisitanDhamma

»ntpi«

Post by ChrisitanDhamma »

Lovely Friends of the holy way,

I have a question due to pali translation. I searched and searched, but I couldn’t find anything, which is satisfying.

Before I write about my problem, I want to say, I have no really pali knowing, so that you do not wonder, if you mean to feel, that some question come from an unbasically language knowing. But I be not sure, if my problem is a special case, where even good knowledge is not a guarantee for understanding.

My question: In M 43 there is said: »Sukhantipi vijānāti.« In M 140 there is a similar expression: »`Sukha´ntipi vijānāti.«

I don’t know, how the suffix »–ntipi« is to understand. The things I thought about, while I tried to solve it:

1. One problem is, that I don’t know, if it is really a suffix to the word »sukha«, or stands alone: In M 43 it looks like a suffix, in M 140 it looks like it would stand alone

2. Assumed, it stands alone, there I tried to deconstruct it, with »n-ti-pi«: »ti« has a meaning, »pi«, has a meaning, but what is with »n«? Is it only a connection-consonant?

3. Only »nti« belonging directly to »sukha« as a meaning of declenation or something else and »pi« as a suffix: For example like »anucarantipi« But »nti« would express the third person plural. And I think, that can only be, if »sukha« would be a verb and it is a noun, as I understand.

Can anyone help me, about that translation problem?

Thank you, have it good, good wishes
Christian :-)
tiltbillings

Re: »ntpi«

Post by tiltbillings »

Our Pali moderator is off-line for a while, but there are two others who are very good with Pali that may be able to help you. So, do be patient.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am no Pali expert, but it will break down something like this:

sukhaṃ + iti + pi

He (also) knows "This is happiness" and he also knows "This is suffering," (dukkhantipi), and he also knows, “This is indifference”, (adukkhamasukhantipi vijānāti.)

The "n" is what happens to ṃ due to the rules of sandhi (elision).
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
samseva

Post by samseva »

Could you please reduce the size of your text when posting? IT IS SIMILAR TO SOMEONE TYPING ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

If reading what it is on the screen is difficult, here is how to increase the text size:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... maller?v=t
For Mac, cmd + + (plus) to increase and cmd + - (minus) to decrease.
ChrisitanDhamma

Dear Bhikkhu Pesala,

thank you for your answer and explanation.

Can you write me, how you translate the words »it« and »pi« and where they are placed in the sentence?
Or means »also« »ti« and »pi« together?

I would due to your explanations now translate with:

Namely (ti) happiness (sukha) knows it (in duality) (vijānāti).

- I mean, it is 3rd-Person > vijānā-ti) so I write »it«.

I do not know where I shall place the »pi«?

Thank you very much again. Have it good.
Christian
ChrisitanDhamma

Dear Samseva,

thank you for your advice and instruction. Sorry for it, was no bad intention, only, as you wrote, for better reading.
Yes, increasing the text size is also an idea.

Greetings to you, all the best
samseva

Post by samseva »

ChrisitanDhamma wrote:Dear Samseva,

thank you for your advice and instruction. Sorry for it, was no bad intention, only, as you wrote, for better reading.
Yes, increasing the text size is also an idea.

Greetings to you, all the best
No problem. :smile:

For better reading, you could also increase the text size to preview your post and then remove both the

Code: Select all

[size=120] and [/size]
to submit it.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Please study some the sources in the Pali Resources Thread just as Nārada's Elementary Pali Course.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
ChrisitanDhamma

Dear Samseva,

thank you. A good idea, but Incrasing the size increase also the raw text, I write.

Best wishes
Christian
srkris

Post by srkris »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I am no Pali expert, but it will break down something like this:

sukhaṃ + iti + pi

He (also) knows "This is happiness" and he also knows "This is suffering," (dukkhantipi), and he also knows, “This is indifference”, (adukkhamasukhantipi vijānāti.)

The "n" is what happens to ṃ due to the rules of sandhi (elision).
sukhaṃ + iti + api, where api means "also" (the a in api is also elided, like the first i in iti, due to sandhi)