Tanha/Tanha Pahaana !!

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
tidathep

Tanha/Tanha Pahaana !!

Post by tidathep »

Hi All,

:candle: Using Craving To Abandon Craving :candle:
[Presented by Dr.Tep Sastri @ SD/JTN]

The AN 4.159, Bhikkhuni Sutta shows that in order to abandon craving, one has to rely on craving.

Then Ven. Ananda approached the nun and, on arrival, sat down on a prepared seat. As he was sitting there, he said to the nun:

"This body, sister, comes into being through food. And yet it is by relying on food that food is to be abandoned.
This body comes into being through craving. And yet it is by relying on craving that craving is to be abandoned.
This body comes into being through conceit. And yet it is by relying on conceit that conceit is to be abandoned. ..."

"'This body comes into being through craving. And yet it is by relying on craving that craving is to be abandoned.' Thus was it said. And in reference to what was it said? There is the case, sister, where a monk hears, 'The monk named such-and-such, they say, through the ending of the fermentations, has entered & remains in the fermentation-free awareness-release & discernment-release, having known & realized them for himself in the here & now.' The thought occurs to him, 'I hope that I, too, will � through the ending of the fermentations � enter & remain in the fermentation-free awareness-release & discernment-release, having known & realized them for myself in the here & now.' Then, at a later time, he abandons craving, having relied on craving. 'This body comes into being through craving. And yet it is by relying on craving that craving is to be abandoned.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said." http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

How should we explain "it is by relying on craving that craving is to be abandoned" ? The explanation above was not clear to me on the first reading. Pondering over it again, I have this explanation: The desire/hope to be freed from craving is in itself craving. In other words, if one had no desire/hope to abandon the origin of dukkha then he would not make the right exertion to abandon craving. The desire has to be really strong to motivate a worldling to practice the Noble Eightfold Path !

Now, can you tell me how you would abandon conceit by relying on conceit?

Love Buddhas :heart:
tidathep/yawares :heart:
Ayu

Re: Tanha/Tanha Pahaana !!

Post by Ayu »

This is an interesting question. It should be meditated, i presume.

Is there any correlation between food, craving and conceit - in this array?
It concerns the body, the mind and the conduct, maybe?

Maybe one has to draw back the conceit in front of the others - from outside to inside - and then maybe it is useful to look at myself with aloof arrogance for to overcome my feeling of being better than others...
yawares

Re: Tanha/Tanha Pahaana !!

Post by yawares »

Ayu wrote:This is an interesting question. It should be meditated, i presume.

Is there any correlation between food, craving and conceit - in this array?
It concerns the body, the mind and the conduct, maybe?

Maybe one has to draw back the conceit in front of the others - from outside to inside - and then maybe it is useful to look at myself with aloof arrogance for to overcome my feeling of being better than others...
------
Dear Ayu,

Conceit is the comparison of oneself with another person. When one feels lower in status or accomplishment, conceit may lead to craving/desire to be equal or better. Hence conceit can also motivate a monk to train in the ariya-dhamma, and as the consequence abandons conceit (and becomes Arahant).

Like you said, examinine himself and realizing --'I have conceit'-- can lead a monk to overcome conceit.
Food (ahara) also means a supporting condition for nama-rupa. Abandoning of food also relies on food as a support.

yawares :anjali: