Western

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Sam Vara

Western

Post by Sam Vara »

Is there a reason why "western" (as in direction) is pacchima, which can also mean "last" or "latest"; and also apara, which also means "another, subsequent, one more, further" etc?

I would have thought regarding pacchima that the western direction might be seen as the place where the sun is seen "last" or "latest". But apara? Is there a link?
hantang

Re: Western

Post by hantang »

if we view the west is "subsequent" to the east in that sunset happens "after" sunrise, then it might be explanable that "apara", meaning later, following and subsequent, can have the meaning of western.

By the way, in Chinese we also use the same word for "last, latest" (最"後" zui4 hou4) and "subsequent, one coming after" ("後"來 hou4 lai2).

It's my opinion on this topic.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:03 pm Is there a reason why "western" (as in direction) is pacchima, which can also mean "last" or "latest"; and also apara, which also means "another, subsequent, one more, further" etc?

I would have thought regarding pacchima that the western direction might be seen as the place where the sun is seen "last" or "latest". But apara? Is there a link?
It depends on what the etymology is. Reading it as "a-para," as in "para" with a negatory "a-" prefix, it becomes "not another," potentially meaning "the next" and "latest/another," but this is such a simple word, and Pali phonetically reduces its underlying para-Vedic vocabulary so much, it's difficult to tell. It's like "satta." Is that a being, a seeker, or the truth? "Ty," becomes "cc" in Pali (i.e. "sacca"), but in some Prakrits it is impossible to tell aside from context whether you refer to a being, a seeker, or the truth, when "kt," "tv," and "ty" all reduce to the "tt" in "satta."
If you see a river, pray that beings gain entrance into the stream and into the ocean of wisdom. If you see a reservoir, pray that beings swiftly taste the one taste of the Dharma. If you see a pond, pray that beings become great in locution and skillful in preaching. If you see a well, pray that beings draw deep from the well of reason to disclose all dharmas. If you see a spring, pray that beings have inexhaustible roots of virtue. If you see a bridge, pray that beings carry all across to safety, as via a bridge. If you see a waterfall, pray that all beings cleanse the stains of delusion.
Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

Hantang and Coëmgenu, many thanks for your thoughts on this. :anjali:
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

The only thing I would have to add is that the above post from me was unscholarly inasmuch as there are many uses of the "a-" prefix that are not negatory.
If you see a river, pray that beings gain entrance into the stream and into the ocean of wisdom. If you see a reservoir, pray that beings swiftly taste the one taste of the Dharma. If you see a pond, pray that beings become great in locution and skillful in preaching. If you see a well, pray that beings draw deep from the well of reason to disclose all dharmas. If you see a spring, pray that beings have inexhaustible roots of virtue. If you see a bridge, pray that beings carry all across to safety, as via a bridge. If you see a waterfall, pray that all beings cleanse the stains of delusion.