Buddha is fake

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
PeterB

Re: Buddha is fake

Post by PeterB »

I did not comment on Fabianfred's tale. I was offering an explanation for the reactions of those who did.
bodom

Post by bodom »

PeterB wrote:I did not comment on Fabianfred's tale. I was offering an explanation for the reactions of those who did.
I wasn't singling you out Peter. I was offering a "solution" to those who are reacting over a simple story.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
MJH

Post by MJH »

Just so people know, I believe that fabianfred has ordained.

I want to ordain..but....debt

Just something to keep in mind when and how we address him. :namaste:
bodom

Post by bodom »

MJH wrote:Just so people know, I believe that fabianfred has ordained.

I want to ordain..but....debt

Just something to keep in mind when and how we address him. :namaste:
Thank you for pointing that out MJH.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i like folksy stories... Thai forest ajahns are full of them, but maybe some readers consider themselves a superior to rural Thai folk, shame, all that self making. ;)
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Sobeh

Post by Sobeh »

jcsuperstar wrote:superior to rural Thai folk
The critique is against a method of reasoning, not against a group of people. Your statement is a very disingenuous rendering of the claim.
alan

Post by alan »

Whether or not he has ordained doesn't matter much. The story is boring and pointless.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

The Buddha told plenty of stories with really good Dhammic messages, like the mustard seed. I just don't see the point for a story such as this: not from the cannon, not teaching wholesomeness, adhammic.

I just don't get it and I still don't understand what 'Buddha is fake' even means.

I guess I'm not the target audience.
MJH

Post by MJH »

alan wrote:Whether or not he has ordained doesn't matter much. The story is boring and pointless.
Well..... maybe it is, maybe it isn't. That is up to each individual. However, it is important that we respond to monks with respect. And just for the record, I am not singling anyone out. I just wanted it to be known. It seemed that people were getting upset and I didn't want anyone to respond in a manner that they would regret later.
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

we should probably just treat everyone here with respect, :group:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Don't feel too bad--humor or metaphorical allegories don't sit well with this literal -minded bunch. I once posted a humorous anecdote about seeing a guy dressed as Jesus walking down the side of the road at 3 AM and the thread immediately devolved into microanalyses of religious points of view. I've just about given up on this forum. It seems to have attracted the anhedoniacs of the Buddhist world. Which is too bad, I've found the longer I've practiced the more I've learned to as they say, lighten up. May all sentient beings find something to laugh about once in a while. :namaste:

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I was taught from an early age to question what I don't understand. I don't understand this story, so I questioned it. I meant no disrespect and apologise if the way in which my posts are read does not match my intention.

So back to the story, what does 'Buddha is fake' mean? Does it mean that Nibbana is unobtainable and, if so, how does anecdotal evidence of reincarnation suggest that Nibbana is obtainable?

Respectfully, I just don't get it.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

So much heat over a little folk tale. Is this Defilement season or what?
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

No heat, I just don't get it and am eagerly awaiting clarification :)
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi J,
Bubbabuddhist wrote:It seems to have attracted the anhedoniacs of the Buddhist world. Which is too bad, I've found the longer I've practiced the more I've learned to as they say, lighten up. May all sentient beings find something to laugh about once in a while. :namaste:
Thanks for extending my vocabulary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :rolleye:

Mike