The Next Emperor

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Post Reply
User avatar
Bhikkhu Pesala
Posts: 3870
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

The Next Emperor

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:53 pm

As the Emperor was getting old, and had no children, he called together the children of all his courtiers and gave them each a seed. He told them, “Whoever grows the best flower will be the next Emperor.”

The children all took their seeds home, planted them, and watched over them carefully. The son of the chief gardener thought he had a good chance of winning, as he knew just what to do, but the weeks went by and his seed failed even to sprout. At school, the other children boasted about how well their plants were doing, but he just kept quiet.

He tried everything, changing the soil, keeping the pot warm or cool, but as the day approached for judging, he had no result at all. On the final day, when all the children had to take their flowers to show to the Emperor, he was so disappointed and ashamed that he didn’t want to go at all. His father encouraged him, “Never mind. You have done your best. Take it anyway.” So, very reluctantly, he took his empty pot to the Emperor’s court.

When he arrived there, all of the other children had flowers and plants. He just hid his empty pot, and talked to no one. He stayed right at the back as all the other children went up to show their flowers to the Emperor. The Emperor looked at each flower in turn, but never even smiled. At last, all the children except the gardener’s son had shown their flowers, and the Emperor called him: “Come, please show me what you have grown.” Trembling with fear, thinking that everyone would laugh at him, he took his empty pot out of his bag, and covering it with his hands, took it to the Emperor.

The Emperor took one look, and smiled. “Ah! You have won the competition. You will be the next Emperor.”
The gardener’s son could not believe his ears. “Why have I won? My seed didn’t even sprout, and all the other children had beautiful flowers.”

Then the Emperor spoke to all of the children, “Before I gave out the seeds, I had them boiled. That is why they would not grow. All of you, except for the gardener’s son, threw away the seed that I gave you, and put another in its place. Only this boy was honest enough to keep trying with the seed that I gave him. Therefore he is the only one suitable to be the next Emperor.”
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

User avatar
JamesTheGiant
Posts: 1019
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:41 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: The Next Emperor

Post by JamesTheGiant » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:49 pm

And that is the story of how the courtiers of Shan Guo came to have all their children executed for lying to the Emperor. :tongue:

And how the son of a gardener, honest but completely unsuited to statecraft, became a weak Emperor, who led the empire into a disastrous conflict with her northern neighbors, which in turn led to the fall of empire and the enslavement of the people.
Cheers! :toast:

User avatar
Bhikkhu Pesala
Posts: 3870
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: The Next Emperor

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:29 pm

In ancient times World-turning Monarchs lived by Dhamma. When the lineage of that noble practice was broken, the life-span of human beings declined, and all manner of wickedness increased.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

polo
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Re: The Next Emperor

Post by polo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:29 am

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:49 pm
And that is the story of how the courtiers of Shan Guo came to have all their children executed for lying to the Emperor. :tongue:

And how the son of a gardener, honest but completely unsuited to statecraft, became a weak Emperor, who led the empire into a disastrous conflict with her northern neighbors, which in turn led to the fall of empire and the enslavement of the people.
Cheers! :toast:
James, you mean this is a true story in China? I would be surprised if it was a true story.

User avatar
JamesTheGiant
Posts: 1019
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:41 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: The Next Emperor

Post by JamesTheGiant » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:30 am

polo wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:29 am
James, you mean this is a true story in China? I would be surprised if it was a true story.
No, I'm not serious, it's completely made up. Equally as made up as the original story of the Emperor and the Seeds.
Moral stories like that make me feel a little sick sometimes though.

Dan74
Posts: 3114
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: The Next Emperor

Post by Dan74 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:02 am

JamesTheGiant wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:30 am
polo wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:29 am
James, you mean this is a true story in China? I would be surprised if it was a true story.
No, I'm not serious, it's completely made up. Equally as made up as the original story of the Emperor and the Seeds.
Moral stories like that make me feel a little sick sometimes though.
I think it is a beautiful story if taken as a story, a parable. If taken as real, then I agree, James, and appreciate your postscript.
_/|\_

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 12540
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: The Next Emperor

Post by DNS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:32 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:02 am
JamesTheGiant wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:30 am
polo wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:29 am
James, you mean this is a true story in China? I would be surprised if it was a true story.
No, I'm not serious, it's completely made up. Equally as made up as the original story of the Emperor and the Seeds.
Moral stories like that make me feel a little sick sometimes though.
I think it is a beautiful story if taken as a story, a parable. If taken as real, then I agree, James, and appreciate your postscript.
You mean the story in the OP . . . is . . . . . . not "true"? :tongue:

The irony! But good parable anyway about how being honest pays off.

santa100
Posts: 3763
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: The Next Emperor

Post by santa100 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:33 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:In ancient times World-turning Monarchs lived by Dhamma. When the lineage of that noble practice was broken, the life-span of human beings declined, and all manner of wickedness increased.
Amazing to see how times have changed. The current "world-turning monarch" is also the world's worst cheater and liar, a fact everyone acknowledge, even among his most loyal supporters!

confusedlayman
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 am

Re: The Next Emperor

Post by confusedlayman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:03 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:53 pm
As the Emperor was getting old, and had no children, he called together the children of all his courtiers and gave them each a seed. He told them, “Whoever grows the best flower will be the next Emperor.”

The children all took their seeds home, planted them, and watched over them carefully. The son of the chief gardener thought he had a good chance of winning, as he knew just what to do, but the weeks went by and his seed failed even to sprout. At school, the other children boasted about how well their plants were doing, but he just kept quiet.

He tried everything, changing the soil, keeping the pot warm or cool, but as the day approached for judging, he had no result at all. On the final day, when all the children had to take their flowers to show to the Emperor, he was so disappointed and ashamed that he didn’t want to go at all. His father encouraged him, “Never mind. You have done your best. Take it anyway.” So, very reluctantly, he took his empty pot to the Emperor’s court.

When he arrived there, all of the other children had flowers and plants. He just hid his empty pot, and talked to no one. He stayed right at the back as all the other children went up to show their flowers to the Emperor. The Emperor looked at each flower in turn, but never even smiled. At last, all the children except the gardener’s son had shown their flowers, and the Emperor called him: “Come, please show me what you have grown.” Trembling with fear, thinking that everyone would laugh at him, he took his empty pot out of his bag, and covering it with his hands, took it to the Emperor.

The Emperor took one look, and smiled. “Ah! You have won the competition. You will be the next Emperor.”
The gardener’s son could not believe his ears. “Why have I won? My seed didn’t even sprout, and all the other children had beautiful flowers.”

Then the Emperor spoke to all of the children, “Before I gave out the seeds, I had them boiled. That is why they would not grow. All of you, except for the gardener’s son, threw away the seed that I gave you, and put another in its place. Only this boy was honest enough to keep trying with the seed that I gave him. Therefore he is the only one suitable to be the next Emperor.”
is king of Bhutan/emporor of Bhutan is world changing monarch? is he the noble king living acc to Dhamma?
non-agitation is highest peace
living unaffected by other cause and condition to suffering is true bliss
not associating with stupid people is immediate peace
- CL (confused layman)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests