If you can only see with your eyes, what is it that sees your thoughts?

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
LostOne

Post by LostOne »

:meditate:
Dhammarakkhito

Re: If you can only see with your eyes, what is it that sees your thoughts?

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Just imagine that your are six month old baby.
They have only the perception.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

LostOne wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:58 am If you can only see with your eyes, what is it that sees your thoughts?

How can you 'see' a thought? You can't. Thinking is not seeing. This is a misunderstanding on your part and is only a figure of speech. It is not factual that thoughts can be 'seen'. Think about it. :D
denise

Post by denise »

pineal gland :thinking:
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

LostOne wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:58 am If you can only see with your eyes, what is it that sees your thoughts?

Its a different function of the 5 aggregates. Thoughts are thoughts, perceptions relate to the eye function. That's all.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I hear my thoughts - is it just me? :jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Anyone came across the idea that thoughts are generated by the heart?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
egon

Post by egon »

Bundokji wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:34 am Anyone came across the idea that thoughts are generated by the heart?
Umm.... you mean literally the heart? As far as I know, not since Aristotle. Maybe watch this:

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

ScottPen wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:23 pm Umm.... you mean literally the heart? As far as I know, not since Aristotle. Maybe watch this:
The first time i came accross this notion was by Ramana Maharshi when he said that the source of thought is the heart. I also once heard Ajahn Chah describing meditation as "training of the heart" not "training of the mind".

I did not pay much attention to it at the beginning, but maybe it is worth a deeper contemplation. When we talk about attachments and desires, we seem to refer more to the heart than the mind.

What we value is what directs our thoughts and precedes it , and figuratively, values belong to the heart rather than the mind. For example, when you say: something or someone is close to your heart, you mean to say you value this person or this thing.

When you read the whole chapter in Dhammapada "Piyavagga: Affection" you get the impression that it is talking more about the heart than the mind.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Bundokji wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:43 pm I did not pay much attention to it at the beginning, but maybe it is worth a deeper contemplation. When we talk about attachments and desires, we seem to refer more to the heart than the mind.
And there is clearly a close connection between what we are thinking and what we are feeling.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Bundokji wrote: I also once heard Ajahn Chah describing meditation as "training of the heart" not "training of the mind".
I can remember a Tibetan Vajrayana teacher saying during a talk he was giving : "When we say "heart" we mean "mind".

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Bundokji wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:34 am Anyone came across the idea that thoughts are generated by the heart?
What is referred to as 'mind', and the states that 'mind' can be in, actually encompasses things that in English are typically referred to as emotions, like anger, jealousy, etc.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Regarding heart/mind, the translation of "citta" at the ATI website is :
citta: Mind; heart; state of consciousness.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html#c

:anjali: