The Story of the Hero

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
WorldTraveller

The Story of the Hero

Post by WorldTraveller »

I thought I would post this link to a short story from a WP blog post, about the history of Buddhism from Gotama to present era. It seems the latter part of the story mostly represent the Asian Buddhism.

The way the author portrait the origin of Mahayana is an eye opener to me: "pointing to a path which circled back to the beginning". :thinking:
After the passing away of the hero and his followers who reached the oasis, the enthusiasm to reach the oasis began to fade away. Contrary to the hero’s advice of “one should leave the desert without any delay,” some of his later followers began saying, “We will also become a hero in a distant future rebirth. That is a greater going than this lower going shown by the hero.” They went on to establish another sign post called “greater going”—with a different set of instructions—pointing to a path which circled back to the beginning. Many lazy followers gathered around this new sign saying, “We will also reach the oasis with a future hero.”
Trindolex2

Re: The Story of the Hero

Post by Trindolex2 »

Wonderfully written. Excellent.
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

It seems the link that I mentioned in the OP have changed. New one here.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

The link seems to have changed.

https://kusalagavesi.wordpress.com/1eng/

The story is quite similar to Ven. Ānanda Maitreya's Pseudo-Pilgrims.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23368
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

Dhammanando wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:54 am The story is quite similar to Ven. Ānanda Maitreya's Pseudo-Pilgrims.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23368
Thank you bhante :anjali:

Ven. Ānanda Maitreya's version is somewhat complex. Interesting to see that he didn't touch the Bodhisattva aspect in his version. Perhaps due to the fact that Ven. Ānanda Maitreya may be the most famous Bodhisattva in Sri Lanka.

Someone noted that the image of the story to be same as the one appeared in the book seven of Plato’s Republic (the cave myth).
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

WorldTraveller wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:45 am Someone noted that the image of the story to be same as the one appeared in the book seven of Plato’s Republic (the cave myth).
Other than the shared theme of liberation I don't see much resemblance myself. The main point of Ven. A.M's story —the subsequent concealing of the path to liberation— has no parallel in Plato's cave allegory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)