Mindfulness Meditation

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
SunWuKong

Mindfulness Meditation

Post by SunWuKong »

If you have tried something called Mindfulness, thumbs up or thumbs down? I’m taking a survey here, Dharmawheel, and on a Zen forum. Thanks!
befriend

Re: Mindfulness Meditation

Post by befriend »

:thumbsup:
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

:twothumbsup:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

one_awakening

Post by one_awakening »

“You only lose what you cling to”
bodom

Post by bodom »

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Five stars out of five here. I’ll give it another day or two and post preliminary results, including my own vote
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Me too
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

SunWuKong wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm If you have tried something called Mindfulness, thumbs up or thumbs down? I’m taking a survey here, Dharmawheel, and on a Zen forum. Thanks!
No one here will give a thumbs down. Mindfulness is essential. It's one of the five spiritual faculties, one of the five strengths/powers, one of the seven factors of Awakening, and right mindfulness is one of the factors of the Noble Eightfold Path.
Aggi Sutta (SN 46.53) wrote:But mindfulness, bhikkhus, I say is always useful.
Anuruddha Sutta (AN 8.30) wrote:This Dhamma is for one with mindfulness established, not for one who is muddle-minded.
Mūlaka Sutta (AN 10.58) wrote:Mindfulness exercises authority over [all things].
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

It's the best thing since sliced bread ( before sliced bread really! ). :toilet:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

SunWuKong wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm If you have tried something called Mindfulness, thumbs up or thumbs down? I’m taking a survey here, Dharmawheel, and on a Zen forum. Thanks!

Kevin
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Thanks!

I have heard that what is being called Mindfulness Meditation is more closely aligned with samatha, and what is taught as Insight Meditation is often closer to vipasana, but in many cases there’s a mixture of the two, and of course, different traditions call things by different terms and have other checks and balance s in place. I’ve also heard sati and samadhi referred to as a duality if sorts. Therefore I hearing 3 sets of pairs:

Mindfulness/ Insight

Samatha/ vipasana

Sati/ samadhi

But this arrangement places samadhi on the right hand if the column. Is it feasible to view vipasana more as a form of, or informed by mostly concentration then?
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

SunWuKong wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:37 pm Thanks!

I have heard that what is being called Mindfulness Meditation is more closely aligned with samatha, and what is taught as Insight Meditation is often closer to vipasana, but in many cases there’s a mixture of the two, and of course, different traditions call things by different terms and have other checks and balance s in place. I’ve also heard sati and samadhi referred to as a duality if sorts. Therefore I hearing 3 sets of pairs:

Mindfulness/ Insight

Samatha/ vipasana

Sati/ samadhi

But this arrangement places samadhi on the right hand if the column. Is it feasible to view vipasana more as a form of, or informed by mostly concentration then?
I thought that "Vipassana" meditators emphasized sati/mindfulness above all else, and tended to downplay the role of samatha (some people even express suspicion about "concentration" practices).

There are so many schools and controversies out there, and you have to navigate your way through it - but at the end of the day both Samma Sati and Samma Samadhi are factors of the Noble Eightfold Path. Insight, as I understand it, is something which occurs when the path has been sufficiently developed.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Garrib wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 pm
SunWuKong wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:37 pm Thanks!

Mindfulness/ Insight

Samatha/ vipasana

Sati/ samadhi

I thought that "Vipassana" meditators emphasized sati/mindfulness above all else, and tended to downplay the role of samatha (some people even express suspicion about "concentration" practices).

There are so many schools and controversies out there, and you have to navigate your way through it - but at the end of the day both Samma Sati and Samma Samadhi are factors of the Noble Eightfold Path. Insight, as I understand it, is something which occurs when the path has been sufficiently developed.
What you say is true how they go about this is starting with sati, mindfulness of breathing, then as the achieve calmness and serenity come in with the more analytical vipasana practice. But not always, some just start out with vipasana and continue throughout