12th grade Topper renounces world

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Dhammabodhi

12th grade Topper renounces world

Post by Dhammabodhi »

This story came up in the news a few days ago about a young man who topped the school leaving exams deciding to renounce the world to seek inner peace and happiness:

Gujarat class 12 topper Varshil Shah set to become a Jain monk
Varshil, whose father is a government servant, emerged as one of the toppers in general stream of Gujarat Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board examination, the results of which were declared two weeks ago. “Though I scored high marks, I don’t want to pursue the usual path where people run behind earthly possessions.

My goal is to attain inner peace and eternal happiness. That will be possible only when I leave behind everything and become a Jain monk,” Varshil said
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
SarathW

Re: 12th grade Topper renounces world

Post by SarathW »

This is one of the gamble you do when you are young thinking that you found the right path. As a Theravada Buddhist I think Jains or Mahayanist are not in the right path. In the same way I may not be in the right path either. How to sort this out?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
santa100

Post by santa100 »

There's a different way to see it. Quick analogy, think about the academic education levels, before getting to Nibbana which is the last level of PhD, different schools can get one to climb the gradual steps from middle school, high school, 2-year college, 4-year college, and master-level graduate school. Whether you're Jain, Theravadin, or Mahayanists, you all have to fulfill the common precepts and meditation requirements. In that regard, they aren't wrong. Instead they all steer one away from what's evil and unwholesome and head toward that highest goal. Now whether all paths actually put one at that highest goal maybe a different story.
Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi »

Hi Sarath,

Rather than focusing on whether he's on the "right path" or not, from what I read- it seems that he genuinely sees the futility of seeking happiness in material possessions and chose to embark on an inner journey to find peace and happiness- and I rejoice on this fact alone. How many people, regardless of labels-race, religion, caste, gender- have that insight? Especially in a country like ours, where scores, ranks, money and possessions have become more important than being happy, it is indeed a rare thing to witness.

I feel that if he is true to his convictions and has the ability to investigate truthfully, he'll find what he seeks sooner or later. Remember that even the Buddha embarked on a "wrong" path as a bodhisatta (or was it a necessary step for his liberation?). :buddha1:

Also, as my teacher says- it does not matter what you call yourself- as long as you are practising universal dhamma- sacitta pariyodapanam- you are bound to be successful. So let us wish that this person is able to purify his mind and find true happiness! :meditate:

:anjali:
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka
manas

Post by manas »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:21 am This is one of the gamble you do when you are young thinking that you found the right path. As a Theravada Buddhist I think Jains or Mahayanist are not in the right path. In the same way I may not be in the right path either. How to sort this out?
The only way to sort it out, is to try it for oneself and observe the results - how else could one know for sure?
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

There are about ten billion human with ten billions views.
They all think that they are in the right path.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:47 pm There are about ten billion human with ten billions views.
They all think that they are in the right path.
I'm not sure if most of them even think about being on a "path" at all, but even if they do I think we can safely disregard those who cannot be bothered to proclaim their choice, or cannot articulate it in an appealing manner. Likewise those who are obviously struggling under the types of burdens that we would wish to lay aside. So if we look at those who proclaimed - out of compassion - a path that was universal and rational and had received good reviews from those who had walked it over 2.5 millennia, that should narrow things down a bit!