Dhamma is watching you

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
oak1

Dhamma is watching you

Post by oak1 »

Bit of an introduction: I got my hunting license around the same time I got interested in Buddhism. I felt like it was morally more right to shoot the animal myself than to buy it in the store, because the animal would have more of a chance and because it would have lived a relatively better life. Currently, I am struggling with the decision of whether I want to formally give up hunting, because I am afraid of my dad's reaction and because I am not fully convinced of the first precept. My apologies if this is disturbing to someone.

So, I went hunting with my dad in Germany some time ago. I would be on a post of my own, so I determined to make use of the occasion to examine what would happen were I to get a possibility to shoot. In the end, I didn't get a chance at all. However, for some reason, they had marked a tree straight opposite of me with ... a dhammawheel. It probably meant or symbolized something else, but there it was. To my left there were also all these exclamation marks, indicating that I couldn't should in that direction, yet also possibly indicating a danger of other sorts... Finally and a little more far-fetched, the post was numbered 4c, which sounds like 'foresee'.
Mkoll

Re: Dhamma is watching you

Post by Mkoll »

It's strange how the universe works sometimes. I've heard others tell of things happening related to Dhamma or important life events that are similarly coincidental in that sort of eerie way. In some cases it really is just chance coincidence. But in others, I really do think the universe, or if you will: our minds, are telling us something important. This sounds like one of the latter.

You never know what your dad's reaction might be. I'm not a father myself but I think if I had a son, I would be proud to see him showing traits of strength and independence, asserting himself in the world, seeing him living life the way he wants to live it and that makes him happy (once he's old enough of course---I'm not referring to teenage rebellion!). Parents want their children to be happy. There are other bonding activities you can do with him that don't involve killing things.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

they had marked a tree straight opposite of me with ... a dhammawheel.
It seems you have developed lot of Saddha. (faith) and mindfulness.
You are in the right path. Keep practicing.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I have several friends who hunt and have offered to kill animals for me and share or give me the meat. I know its not quite the same, but I have had to "out" myself as a Buddhist and explain to them I don't want to do that and it is against precepts or a "vows" I have taken. I have found that they respected that, even if they didn't totally understand. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy the outdoors together or be friends, it just means I don't want to personally kill anything or encourage anyone to do so. Its that basic, and I think anyone who loves you would understand your noble motivations. It does sometimes take some explaining sometimes the action of eating meat is separate from the act of killing-- seems to be a distinction people don't understand that in the West at least-- but its rewarding in the end.

I have to believe seeing the Dhamma wheel was a powerful message!
ganegaar

Post by ganegaar »

My heartfelt congratulations to you for being a compassionate being!.
oak1 wrote: I felt like it was morally more right to shoot the animal myself than to buy it in the store...
When one kills, the mind has "anger/hatred" as base (dvesha), when one buy meat (because you want to taste it), the mind (of an ordinary person) has some degree of "greed/craving" as base (lobha). In both instances ( in killing as well as buying) "delusion/ignorance" (moha mula citta) is present but to different degrees of potency.
The delusion/ignorance (Moha) paints a nice picture to shield the mind from seeing the real deal, shield from experiencing the mind from the real deal, delusion/ignorance (moha) presents what is unpleasant as pleasant, unreasonable as reasonable, bad things as good things, and good things as bad things!. The pleasurable experience the hunter feels is because delusion/ignorance (moha) shields the anger/hatred/violence and presents something entirely different, and then goes onto shield further by justifying the act by (often unreasonable) reasoning!.

As I see it, when it comes to killing vs buying (to enjoy a meat), the anger/hatred + delusion/ignorance combination is more harmful than the greed/craving + delusion/ignorance combination.

and hunting has all three combinations, because greed/craving is also present, since one wants to enjoy the meat from the hunt.
Sīlepatiṭṭhāya naro sapañño, cittaṃ paññañca bhāvayaṃ;
Ātāpī nipako bhikkhu, so imaṃ vijaṭaye jaṭanti.
oak1

Post by oak1 »

Thank you guys! I feel really strengthened by your replies and then to recall that I posted this as a way of showing my gratitude for all the generosity of people that answered previous messages of mine.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Your experience seems to be one of synchronicity which Jung described as "things which are meaningfully related but not causally related."
This concept was inspired to him by a patient's case that was in situation of impasse in treatment. Her exaggerate rationalism (animus inflation) was holding her back from assimilating unconscious materials. One night, the patient dreamt a golden scarab - cetonia aurata. The next day, during the psychotherapy session, a real insect this time, hit against the Jung's cabinet window. Jung caught it and discovered surprisingly that it was a golden scarab; a very rare presence for that climate.

What is Synchronicity?
:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
TreeSleeper

Post by TreeSleeper »

Don't kill animals it's really bad. It's a kind of kamma that has a really bad result. It will really lead to your long term suffering. If you ever meet people who kill animals for a living or people who hunt a lot, you can see just how dull and stupid they are. They are becoming like animals. You can also read of the stories of the special places in hell for those who killed animals. It's not fun stuff. If you start to grow any compassion and love for animals you would never want to kill them.
Please don't kill, the Buddha taught this for a reason.

That sounds really amazing with those experiences though. The Dhamma will guide those who follow the Dhamma. It's trying to warn you, but you are on the right path.
ryanM

Post by ryanM »

TreeSleeper wrote:If you ever meet people who kill animals for a living or people who hunt a lot, you can see just how dull and stupid they are.
I'm sorry you haven't had good relations with hunters, but this hasn't been the case in my experience.
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

I think it is worse to take a life with your own hands than to buy meat. The former requires much less wholesome mindstates & intention.

Either way, why would you want to do it?

"Monks, the taking of life — when indulged in, developed, & pursued — is something that leads to hell, leads to rebirth as a common animal, leads to the realm of the hungry shades. The slightest of all the results coming from the taking of life is that, when one becomes a human being, it leads to a short life span.

-AN 8.40
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

TreeSleeper wrote:Don't kill animals it's really bad. It's a kind of kamma that has a really bad result. It will really lead to your long term suffering. If you ever meet people who kill animals for a living or people who hunt a lot, you can see just how dull and stupid they are. They are becoming like animals. You can also read of the stories of the special places in hell for those who killed animals. It's not fun stuff. If you start to grow any compassion and love for animals you would never want to kill them.
Please don't kill, the Buddha taught this for a reason.

That sounds really amazing with those experiences though. The Dhamma will guide those who follow the Dhamma. It's trying to warn you, but you are on the right path.
:goodpost:
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss