The Death of Pain and Freedom's Reign

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Lombardi4

The Death of Pain and Freedom's Reign

Post by Lombardi4 »

Pain awakens the mind from its deep and dangerous sleep,
And allows wisdom, compassion and strength to take root in the heart,
Leading to effort which crushes the pain to its death,
Allowing peace, joy and freedom to reign.

Stephen K.
21 December 2016
Manchester
Last edited by Lombardi4 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
perkele

Re: The Death of Pain and Freedom's Reign

Post by perkele »

Not bad poetry. :)

See also Transcendental Dependent Arising (A Translation and Exposition of the Upanisa Sutta, by Bhikkhu Bodhi):
SN 12.23: Upanisa Sutta - Discourse on Supporting Conditions wrote:// ...

"Joy, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for joy? 'Faith' should be the reply.

"Faith, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for faith? 'Suffering' should be the reply.

"Suffering, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for suffering? 'Birth' should be the reply.

// ...
:buddha2:

:anjali:
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

I've written poems before, when I was a kid. But I am not too familiar with poetry, actually I know next to nothing about it. I suppose I should take into consideration number of syllables, rhythm, and rhyming. I don't know how I can make the above better.

This one is my favourite as it describes Buddhist practice from start to finish in the most succinct manner.

I didn't plan it in advance. I sat on my bed phone in hand, in Facebook, and thought of how pain awakens the mind and leads to wisdom, compassion and strength. It all came together in its final shape within seconds.
Lucem

Post by Lucem »

I suppose I should take into consideration number of syllables, rhythm, and rhyming.
:goodpost:

But nice poem even without
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Lucem wrote:
I suppose I should take into consideration number of syllables, rhythm, and rhyming.
:goodpost:

But nice poem even without
Thank you :smile: