Lenght of training in a noble disciple

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Post Reply
mario92
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:37 am
Location: My house

Lenght of training in a noble disciple

Post by mario92 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:01 am

Hello ;) , i have came here for the purpose of asking about how many time is required to became an arahant, or at least a sottapana, i have seen the story of Isidasi the noble nun, her story only recalled 8 births prior enlightenment, when she was first an adulterer, then in hell, as monkey as a sheep, and so on until she became the nun Isidasi in her last life. But there is the story of The venerable Bakkula in the Era of this present Buddha Gotama, who was one of four great disciples that could recall countless aeons past lifetimes. He was also the foremost in good Health and Long Life, the book i read said that he was an ascetic in the time of Anomadasi Buddha, 1 incalculable and one hundred thousands aeons, he could enter jhanas, and he cured the Buddha of that era of an illness but he couldnt got enlightened because lack of parami. Other arahant disciples took 100, 000 aeons, the chief disciples took 1 incalculable and 100, 000 aeons, they were the best disciples arahants of the era of this current Buddha. Well it seems that even if you attain jhanas but are lacking of paramis, still need to be practicing for a long time.

The book i encounter here in Dhamma Wheel in other sub forum, i ask in this new thread, cause i feel more appropriate, but here is the link of the book Relatives and Disciples of the Buddha, a compilation-research from Mrs. Radhika Abeysekera:

[url]http://dhammadenna.com/PDFs/Relatives%2 ... Buddha.pdf[/url

Reading the life of the venerable Sariputta made me feel very confortable, as he was a very noble, simpatic man, and very wise that entered the city of nibbana :heart:
Good morning, have a nice day

User avatar
Zom
Posts: 2221
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Russia, Saint-Petersburg
Contact:

Re: Lenght of training in a noble disciple

Post by Zom » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:08 am

I wouldn't take this commentarial information for granted. Buddha himself never said that you need 100...^n years to attain fruits/paths. He said you can do this in this very life - if you do practise The Path. This is the only thing one should know.

User avatar
Bhikkhu Pesala
Posts: 3753
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Length of training in a noble disciple

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Here is a relevant passage from my book, The War on Error, which I am currently editing.

The Promise Made in the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta
The discourse concludes by saying that if one practises like this for seven years then one of two results can be expected — the final knowledge of Arahantship or the stage of a Non-returner. Let alone seven years, if one practises like this for one year … for seven months … for seven weeks … for seven days … even for one day, then one of two results can be expected.

This shows that there is a difference between individuals, that is not all who practise diligently will attain the goal within the same time span, it depends on their perfections (pāramī), which means it depends on how mature their spiritual faculties are due to meditation practice in previous lives or earlier in this life. Bāhiya Dārucīriya, who had practised meditation very strenuously during the dispensation of the Buddha Kassapa, was able to attain Arahantship within a finger-snap after listening to the Buddha’s brief instructions. The Venerable Koṇḍañña gained the path on listening to the Buddha’s first discourse, while his companions did not, but they gained the path on successive days after practising meditation diligently for a short period.

*****

Venerable Sāriputta took two weeks to gain Arahantship, while Mahāmoggallāna took only one week. Venerable Ānanda gained Stream-winning on meeting the Buddha, but only became an Arahant prior to the First Buddhist Council, three months after the Buddha's Parinibbāna.

The bottom line is: “Don't try to measure the immeasurable, but just get down to serious work at the first opportunity. If you have both ability and determination, most things can be achieved. If anything is beyond your ability you won't ever know unless you strive your utmost to achieve it for the rest of your life.”
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

mario92
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:37 am
Location: My house

Re: Lenght of training in a noble disciple

Post by mario92 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:06 pm

Zom wrote:I wouldn't take this commentarial information for granted. Buddha himself never said that you need 100...^n years to attain fruits/paths. He said you can do this in this very life - if you do practise The Path. This is the only thing one should know.
Thank you Zom :) may you be well :anjali:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Here is a relevant passage from my book, The War on Error, which I am currently editing.

The Promise Made in the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta
The discourse concludes by saying that if one practises like this for seven years then one of two results can be expected — the final knowledge of Arahantship or the stage of a Non-returner. Let alone seven years, if one practises like this for one year … for seven months … for seven weeks … for seven days … even for one day, then one of two results can be expected.

This shows that there is a difference between individuals, that is not all who practise diligently will attain the goal within the same time span, it depends on their perfections (pāramī), which means it depends on how mature their spiritual faculties are due to meditation practice in previous lives or earlier in this life. Bāhiya Dārucīriya, who had practised meditation very strenuously during the dispensation of the Buddha Kassapa, was able to attain Arahantship within a finger-snap after listening to the Buddha’s brief instructions. The Venerable Koṇḍañña gained the path on listening to the Buddha’s first discourse, while his companions did not, but they gained the path on successive days after practising meditation diligently for a short period.

*****

Venerable Sāriputta took two weeks to gain Arahantship, while Mahāmoggallāna took only one week. Venerable Ānanda gained Stream-winning on meeting the Buddha, but only became an Arahant prior to the First Buddhist Council, three months after the Buddha's Parinibbāna.

The bottom line is: “Don't try to measure the immeasurable, but just get down to serious work at the first opportunity. If you have both ability and determination, most things can be achieved. If anything is beyond your ability you won't ever know unless you strive your utmost to achieve it for the rest of your life.”
]

Thank you venerable :namaste: , in that case i should strive hard to complete the paramis and practice the noble eightfold path accordingly.

Thank you venerable May you be well :anjali: :thanks:
Good morning, have a nice day

User avatar
Virgo
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Lenght of training in a noble disciple

Post by Virgo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:54 am

mario92 wrote: Thank you venerable :namaste: , in that case i should strive hard to complete the paramis and practice the noble eightfold path accordingly.
Yes. And if you have encountered the Dhamma you have already for a very long time, so now is the time to learn meditation and really try to put an end to suffering. Good job on attaining human birth. :smile:

Kevin

mario92
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:37 am
Location: My house

Re: Lenght of training in a noble disciple

Post by mario92 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:31 am

Oh thank you Kevin :D :namaste:
Good morning, have a nice day

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests