Dhammavadaka

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
tidathep

Re: Dhammavadaka

Post by tidathep »

Dear Members,

:candle: Buddha's Verses :candle:
[Translated from the Pali by Daw Mya Tin, M.A.]

Verse 403: Him I call a brahmana, who is wise and is profound in his knowledge, who knows the right way from the wrong way, and who has attained the highest goal (i.e., arahatship).

Verse 404: Him I call a brahmana, who associates not with the householder or with the homeless one, or with both, who is free from sensual desire and has few wants.

Verse 405: Him I call a brahmana, who has laid aside the use of force towards all beings, the perturbed as well as the unperturbed (i.e., arahats), and who does not kill or cause others to kill.

Verse 406: Him I call a brahmana, who is not hostile to those who are hostile, who is peaceful (i.e., has laid aside the use of force) to those with weapons,
and who is without attachment to objects of attachment.

tidathep :anjali:
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Dear Members,

Thai mountain orchids

:candle: Buddha's Verses :candle:
[Translated from the Pali by Daw Mya Tin, M.A.]

Verse 398: Him I call a brahmana, who has cut the strap (of ill will), the thong (of craving) and the cord (of wrong views together with latent defilements), who has lifted the bar that fastens the door (of ignorance), and who knows the Truth.

Verse 399: Him I call a brahmana, who, without anger endures abuse, beating and being bound, and to whom the strength of patience is like the strength of an army.

Verse 400: Him I call a brahmana, who is free from anger, who practises austerity, who is virtuous and free from craving, who is controlled in his senses and for whom this body (i.e., existence) is the very last.

Verse 401: Him I call a brahmana, who does not cling to sensual pleasures, just as water does not cling to a lotus leaf, or the mustard seed to the tip of an awl.

Verse 402: Him I call a brahmana, who even in this existence realizes the end of dukkha (i.e., Nibbana), who has laid down the burden (of the khandhas) and who is free from moral defilements.

tidathep :anjali:
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Sawaddee Ka :anjali:

Today is Uposatha Day...I would like to present TREASURY OF THE TRUTH to David/you all:

Treasury Of The Truth
[By Ven.W. Sarada Maha Thero]

Verse 1. Suffering Follows The Evil-Doer

Mind precedes all knowables,
mind's their chief, mind-made are they.
If with a corrupted mind
one should either speak or act
dukkha follows caused by that,
as does the wheel the ox's hoof.

Explanation: All that we experience begins with thought. Our words and deeds spring from thought. If we speak or act with evil thoughts, unpleasant circumstances and experiences inevitably result. Wherever we go, we create bad circumstances because we carry bad thoughts. This is very much like the wheel of a cart following the hoofs of the ox yoked to the cart. The cart-wheel, along with the heavy load of the cart, keeps following the draught oxen. The animal is bound to this heavy load and cannot leave it.

tidathep
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

Sawaddee Ka

I like TREASURY OF TRUTH very much...and I also love BUDDHA'S VERSES by Daw Mya Tin...Please let me present them together.

Treasury Of Truth :heart:
[By Ven.W. Sarada Maha Thero/Daw Mya Tin,M.A.]

Verse 2. Happiness Follows The Doer of Good

Mind precedes all knowables,
mind's their chief, mind-made are they.
If with a clear, and confident mind
one should speak and act
as one's shadow never departing.

Explanation: All that man experiences springs out of his thoughts. If his thoughts are good, the words and the deeds will also be
good. The result of good thoughts , words and deeds will be happiness. This happiness will never leave the person whose thoughts are good. Happiness will always follow him like his shadow that never leaves him.

----
Buddha's Verse 2: All mental phenomena have mind as their forerunner; they have mind as their chief; they are mind-made. If one speaks or acts with a pure mind, happiness (sukha) follows him like a shadow that never leaves him.

Love Buddhas
Konnichiwa = good afternoon