Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (1922)

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

For your online reading pleasure...

http://www.online-literature.com/hesse/siddhartha/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Re: Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (1922)

Post by Ben »

What synchronicity!
I packed my copy in abox a little while ago!
To be honest, I preferred Narciss and Goldmund, and The Glass Bead Game.
Thanks for the link Retro!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Finally somebody who read Narciss and Goldmund!

Siddharta was great, too.
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

I read all three, in the 1980s, on a Herman Hesse binge, lol. Indeed N&G is great! Found the Glass Bead Game a bit boring if I recall correctly. Loved also Steppenwolf, Damein and Journey to the East. Most definitely Siddhartha had a big impact though.

Was taking a 20th Century literature course in my last year of college (1983), we had to read Kafka, Sartre, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and others. The Hesse book the professor chose was Siddhartha, and the wisdom just jumped out at me. The way reality was presented by Hesse made so much more sense (in my mind) then how the other authors presented the world.
Last edited by christopher::: on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

retrofuturist wrote:For your online reading pleasure...

Pleasurable, perhaps. But a dhammic story?
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings venerable,

Well... I agree it's a loose connection. ;)

The time I went to read it, I got about two chapters through and I decided my time would be better spent reading suttas.

Nonetheless, people find the Dhamma in different ways.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Hello Venerable,

Not sure how much of the Dhamma is taught in the story, but it does provide a good model of aspects of the journey we all need to take. The growing sense of dissatisfaction with how things are in our world, a sense that one can find answers by leaving the past behind and searching for a better way. I think for people born into Buddhist culture the story might not resonate, but for those of us who were born into Western culture and then set out to find something very different there are parallels, perhaps?

I think something like the American TV series "Kung Fu" provided a similar catalyst for many people. Looking at the series now we might observe that there is more Taoist and pop wisdom presented in that show then dhamma. But still it provided a model for many people of a very different way of thinking and behaving in the world. If these kinds of cultural creations get people searching, that can be helpful.

In my opinion.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009