Forest Monks in Germany

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
hanzze_

Forest Monks in Germany

Post by hanzze_ »

A documentation about the daily life of Buddhist Monks in the traditional christian countryside of German.
Forest monastery Muttodaya

(even it is in German language, it might be give some expression for those who don't speak the language - also very touching are the people who, even they have no idea of Buddhism, love their (!) monastery and support those Monks)

Published on: theravada-dhamma.org (which has also an English and many other language sections)
reflection

Re: Forest Monks in Germany

Post by reflection »

Danke! :anjali: :anjali:
reflection

Post by reflection »

By the way, I really love documentaries about monks in daily life. If anyone knows some more, I would really like that. :)

(preferably not in any language that I find even more difficult than German :tongue: )
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

reflection wrote:By the way, I really love documentaries about monks in daily life. If anyone knows some more, I would really like that. :)
Into Great Silence is one of the better ones, and it depicts Carthusian monks over about six months at the Grande Chartreuse in France. The original German title is Die Große Stille, by Philip Gröning.
reflection wrote:(preferably not in any language that I find even more difficult than German :tongue: )
As it happens, he commented that he preferred the English title because he could do the "into" construction, something which didn't come across quite the same in a German rendering.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
David2

Post by David2 »

Very nice! Danke Hanzze! :thumbsup:
Birgit

Post by Birgit »

Very intresting, the relationship between the monks and their surroundings! :namaste:
Thank you!
You, just as you are, can meet life on its own terms, taking delight in that which is enjoyable without clinging to it while also living with what is difficult and unpleasant without contracting into resistance to it. To dance with life is to meet life on its terms to be at ease, even enjoy the ever-changing interplay without clinging. Philip Moffit: Dancing with Life page 91/92
reflection

Post by reflection »

daverupa wrote:
reflection wrote:By the way, I really love documentaries about monks in daily life. If anyone knows some more, I would really like that. :)
Into Great Silence is one of the better ones, and it depicts Carthusian monks over about six months at the Grande Chartreuse in France. The original German title is Die Große Stille, by Philip Gröning.
reflection wrote:(preferably not in any language that I find even more difficult than German :tongue: )
As it happens, he commented that he preferred the English title because he could do the "into" construction, something which didn't come across quite the same in a German rendering.
Thanks. I've heard about this one before, but so far haven't found it anywhere.

This one is interesting as well:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/one-day- ... monastery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Javi

Post by Javi »

Just wanted to post that a video of this monastery is on youtube now with english subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZhOJI0gLQE
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

reflection wrote:
daverupa wrote:
Thanks. I've heard about this one before, but so far haven't found it anywhere.

This one is interesting as well:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/one-day- ... monastery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Its actually on Netflix (or it used to be back when you could illegally change your Netflix region in Canada), if you have access to it. Into Great Silence, along with Ron Fricke's Samsara are the two most profound and wonderful documentaries I have ever seen on Netflix, although Samsara stretches definitions of what 'documentary' means- blending it seamlessly with wordless story.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.