The first verse of the Dhammapada

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.
Cittasanto

Re: The first verse of the Dhammapada

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Pererin, & Dhammanando
Dhammanando wrote:Hi Pererin,
pererin wrote:Having no Sanskrit or Pali scholarship I hesitate to venture a comment on this subject, but I have always had a measure of concern about aspects of the translations of Juan Mascaró.
Yes, Mascaró's is a very free rendering. Though as free renderings go, it's a long way from being the worst: that accolade belongs to Thomas Byrom's abysmal effort, which unfortunately has been issued as a popular pocketbook by one of the largest Buddhist publishers in the States, and so is always being quoted on the internet.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
I pretty much stick to the renderings on Access to insight, and the Bodhi books, I think they give a wide enough difference to see what is meant without becoming a translator myself, I am far more interested at times though to look at the different views of meaning which may or may not give some insight into the actual meaning of the word/s phrases and so on!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill