vimuttimagga

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Reductor

vimuttimagga

Post by Reductor »

Hey all,

I was wondering if any member has read the vimuttimagga, and what they thought of it. I'd be especially interested in how it differs from the visuddhimagga.

Also, does anyone have a pdf of it, as I'd like to print a copy (scribd has it online, but that site's painful slow - besides, I don't like reading on the computer).

Thanks.
mikenz66

Re: vimuttimagga

Post by mikenz66 »

You can Google for:
The_Path_of_Freedom,Vimuttimagga,N.Ehara,1961.pdf
Which is probably an unauthorized copy.

Or you could order a copy from BPS http://www.bps.lk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They currently say they will do photocopies, and a new typesetting is due soon.

Mike
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

mikenz66 wrote:You can Google for:
The_Path_of_Freedom,Vimuttimagga,N.Ehara,1961.pdf
Which is probably an unauthorized copy.

Or you could order a copy from BPS http://www.bps.lk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They currently say they will do photocopies, and a new typesetting is due soon.

Mike
I emailed BPS and was told that the vimuttimagga was unavailable. Hence my question.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Here it is:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/30134136/Arah ... muttimagga" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:reading:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

gavesako wrote:Here it is:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/30134136/Arah ... muttimagga" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:reading:
Have you read it before Bhante?
adeh

Post by adeh »

It's well worth the read, but I found it a little bit drier that the Visuddhimagga.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Yes, it is good to compare it with the later Visuddhimagga. There are some some small differences between them.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Thanks everyone that responded.

I would prefer a paper copy, but as I mentioned the BPS is not offering it right now. So, I think I have shall have to read it online, as I don't want to violate any copyright laws. Of course, the version linked to by Venerable Gavesako doesn't seem to have a copyright notice on it. :shrug: Oh well, I guess I'm not setting out to read it just yet, so perhaps BPS will put out a new one in the near future.

Thank you Adeh and Gavesake for your take on the vimuttimagga verses the visuddhimagga. Although I haven't read the visuddhimagga to an appreciable length, I would still contend that it is very dry... so how much dryer could the vimuttimagga be? I shudder to think. :smile:

Anyway, thank you all for the input.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

thereductor wrote: Thank you Adeh and Gavesake for your take on the vimuttimagga verses the visuddhimagga. Although I haven't read the visuddhimagga to an appreciable length, I would still contend that it is very dry... so how much dryer could the vimuttimagga be? I shudder to think. :smile:
I think the mistake people make is to read those books like a novel, or, worse, a PhD thesis. If you skim through the whole thing to get an idea of the shape and then read some of the bits that seem interesting in detail then the Visuddhimagga has some cool stuff. Nice little stories, helpful meditation tips. As I've said before, I picture it as a bunch of extracts from Dhamma talks of various ancient teachers (Buddhaghosa just collected them together in one place and gave it some sort of thematic sequence). Just as when you go to a modern talk, they vary...

Mike
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

mikenz66 wrote: I think the mistake people make is to read those books like a novel,

Mike
hey that was me!

also i talked to someone at BPS not that long ago and they mentioned a reprint but i cant remember when...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi all

As some of you know, I downloaded a copy of the Vimuttimagga from Scribd. I paid for one month's subscription to scribd (US$9) so I could download the Vimm which was great and then went on to download Rhys-David's Pali-English dictionary. The pdf copies I downloaded from scribd are searchable which isn't always the same with all pdf documents.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

jcsuperstar wrote:also i talked to someone at BPS not that long ago and they mentioned a reprint but i cant remember when...
Hi JC & all,

Not sure about when BPS will publish another edition of the old translation, but Ven. Ñāṇatusita (BPS editor) is working on a new translation which he says should be finished in the next year or two.

All the best,

Geoff
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

For anyone interested, here are a couple of papers which discuss aspects of the Vimuttimagga in relation to the Visuddhimagga:

The Treatise on the Path to Liberation and the Visuddhimagga by Ven. Anālayo.

The Mystery of the Breath Nimitta by Ven. Soṇa.

All the best,

Geoff
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Ñāṇa wrote:For anyone interested, here are a couple of papers which discuss aspects of the Vimuttimagga in relation to the Visuddhimagga:

The Treatise on the Path to Liberation and the Visuddhimagga by Ven. Anālayo.
Wow, that's interesting. Thank you very much Geoff.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

mikenz66 wrote:
thereductor wrote: Thank you Adeh and Gavesake for your take on the vimuttimagga verses the visuddhimagga. Although I haven't read the visuddhimagga to an appreciable length, I would still contend that it is very dry... so how much dryer could the vimuttimagga be? I shudder to think. :smile:
I think the mistake people make is to read those books like a novel, or, worse, a PhD thesis. If you skim through the whole thing to get an idea of the shape and then read some of the bits that seem interesting in detail then the Visuddhimagga has some cool stuff. Nice little stories, helpful meditation tips. As I've said before, I picture it as a bunch of extracts from Dhamma talks of various ancient teachers (Buddhaghosa just collected them together in one place and gave it some sort of thematic sequence). Just as when you go to a modern talk, they vary...

Mike
I agree to a degree Mike, except that Buddhaghosa was a master of the Tipitika and it's Commentaries.

Kevin