Is classical Theravada mostly proven false by Nagarjuna?

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.
SamD

Re: Is classical Theravada mostly proven false by Nagarjuna?

Post by SamD »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:35 am Greetings Zan,
retrofuturist wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:32 am I would recommend reading "The Heretic Sage"... a short series of interviews with ven. Nanananda.
zan wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:04 pm Thanks! At a cursory glance it seems like the Venerable in the article agrees with Nagarjuna? Am I reading it wrong?
I'll be wary of what I say, mindful of the section we're in, but the key takeaway from ven. Nanananda's comments is that whilst Nagarjuna knew his stuff, Nanananda found that he didn't need to quote Nagarjuna or any other Mahayana resources in his Nibbana Sermons, because the relevant points which those resources might try to highlight, are already adequately and more appropriately covered in the Sutta Pitaka.

Metta,
Paul. :)
:twothumbsup:
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Lankamed wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:27 am
retrofuturist wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:35 am Greetings Zan,
retrofuturist wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:32 am I would recommend reading "The Heretic Sage"... a short series of interviews with ven. Nanananda.
zan wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:04 pm Thanks! At a cursory glance it seems like the Venerable in the article agrees with Nagarjuna? Am I reading it wrong?
I'll be wary of what I say, mindful of the section we're in, but the key takeaway from ven. Nanananda's comments is that whilst Nagarjuna knew his stuff, Nanananda found that he didn't need to quote Nagarjuna or any other Mahayana resources in his Nibbana Sermons, because the relevant points which those resources might try to highlight, are already adequately and more appropriately covered in the Sutta Pitaka.

Metta,
Paul. :)
:twothumbsup:
Wonderful comment that would make Nagarjuna’s heart gladden. His philosophizing and many works had a soteriological purpose and were explicitly intended to show what was implicit in the Buddha’s teaching and its logical implications to those who trapped themselves with faulty assumptions, delusions, and endless attachments. To have people not need any such assistance can only make a true teacher thrilled.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Moderator Note: Nitpicking of one another's personal opinions and interpretations does not belong in the Classical Theravada Section. Please see the guidelines.

Off Topic Posts Removed