Buying some suttas

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.
Keith

Buying some suttas

Post by Keith » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:21 pm

I've listened through Bhikkhu Bodhi's 'Systematic Study of the Majjhima Nikaya' a couple of times. Would it be worthwhile buying his translation of the Majjhima Nikaya or should I spend my money on one of his translations of one of the other Nikayas? Or the anthology? I'd be keen to hear your thoughts.

Sam Vara

Re: Buying some suttas

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:07 pm

All are good, in my opinion. It depends on temperament. If you want to avoid being bogged down in repetition and continuing focus on one topic, the MN would be better than the SN, and the anthology best of all. Presumably he chose those suttas to give a broad and representative overview.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:23 pm

You might find his translation of the Numerical Discourses more useful.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

befriend

Post by befriend » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:30 pm

I agree, anguttara nikaya is more like the dhammapada.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:24 pm

Greetings,

In order of preference... SN, MN, AN, DN.

Intermingled in amongst there are the minor collections of the KN, of which the Sutta Nipata is the best, IMO.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

BKh

Post by BKh » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:57 pm

If you don't own any of the nikayas, then the anthology is a great first/next book.

The MN is less expensive than the SN and AN. And if you have done Bhante Bodhi's MN class, then I think that actually reading the MN yourself would be a highly successful and enjoyable endeavour.

Here is a guide to having a daily practice with the MN, if you like.
https://www.readingfaithfully.org/majjh ... -practice/

You may find the other resources on that site helpful as well.

Good luck!
ReadingFaithfully.org Daily Practice with the Suttas | BuddhaRupa Images of the Buddha across time and space

Volo

Post by Volo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Imo AN has many more practical advices than any other Nikaya. I would recommend to read it. I bought a digital version from Wisdom publication. It's very useful, because you can easily find sutta if you remember some key words from it.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:21 am

BKh wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:57 pm
If you don't own any of the nikayas, then the anthology is a great first/next book.

The MN is less expensive than the SN and AN. And if you have done Bhante Bodhi's MN class, then I think that actually reading the MN yourself would be a highly successful and enjoyable endeavour.

Here is a guide to having a daily practice with the MN, if you like.
https://www.readingfaithfully.org/majjh ... -practice/

You may find the other resources on that site helpful as well.

Good luck!
I agree that the MN has a lot of really useful suttas, packaged in a manageable size, which I think is why Bhikkhu Bodhi, among a number of other teachers available online, such as at the BSWA, https://bswa.org/practices/sutta-study- ... ds-buddha/ use a lot of MN suttas.

There is also a nice (free) book by Sharda Rogell here: https://www.shardarogell.com/reading-an ... pure-honey

:heart:
Mike

Will

Post by Will » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Very fond of Suttanipata and Bhikkhu Bodhi has translated that, along with traditional commentary. That makes it a very rich (and large) book!
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- AN 10.1