The names of sutras in which 12 nidanas are sorted for 3 lives

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.
Dinsdale

Re: The names of sutras in which 12 nidanas are sorted for 3 lives

Post by Dinsdale » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 pm

Viachh wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:47 am
Volo wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:35 am
Dinsdale wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:08 am
People more often get "condemned" here for "old" interpretations. The more contemporary interpretations seem to be much more fashionable.
:goodpost:
I don’t care about old or new explanations: if only these explanations would fulfill their function: to explain. (Otherwise, you can fall into dogmatism: a sort of Buddhist Taliban.)
I have seen dogmatism on all sides of the DO debate, and people can get very attached to their favourite interpretation.
I haven't yet seen an interpretation of DO which is consistent with the suttas, and internally coherent.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:51 am

Dinsdale wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I have seen dogmatism on all sides of the DO debate, and people can get very attached to their favourite interpretation.
Impression of the above is no convinction.
Dinsdale wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:05 pm
I haven't yet seen an interpretation of DO which is consistent with the suttas, and internally coherent.
Are you claiming to be enlightened so to declare the above? :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

uojm

Post by uojm » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:58 am

Viachh wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:47 am
I don’t care about old or new explanations: if only these explanations would fulfill their function: to explain. (Otherwise, you can fall into dogmatism: a sort of Buddhist Taliban.)
In that case then perhaps Knowing might be a candidate. It (step by step) explains DO which differs from the 3-life, 1-life or moment-to-moment models.

From the preface:
This booklet sets out to explain the Buddha’s Teaching. It does so by showing things we can all know for ourselves and build on that accordingly. Many concepts like Anatta, Anicca, Kamma, Sankhara, etc., will be addressed, but in plain english.

Since this work builds up, try to understand a chapter before faring to the next. They are purposely fairly short.