‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.’

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
DarrenM

‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.’

Post by DarrenM »

“Therefore, bhikkhus, any kind of form whatsoever, whether past, future, or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near, all form should be seen as it really is with correct wisdom thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.’
“Any kind of feeling whatsoever … Any kind of perception whatsoever … Any kind of volitional formations whatsoever … Any kind of consciousness whatsoever, whether past, future, or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near, all consciousness should be seen as it really is with correct wisdom thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.’

When the Buddha is referring to Not-Self he refers to whatever the teaching is targeting, such as the 5 Aggregates in SN 22.59 as above.

My question is a simple one. When he refers to the ‘I’ and ‘my self’ here, is he referring to the ordinary sense of self we have, or whatever else people like to call it, conventional self, etc?
“Householder, you have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick, but you shouldn’t rest content with the thought, ‘We have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick.’ So you should train yourself, ‘Let’s periodically enter & remain in seclusion & rapture.’ That’s how you should train yourself.”
AN 5.176- Rapture
cappuccino

Re: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.’

Post by cappuccino »

he refers to I am

or I am That, even
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

DarrenM wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:35 pmWhen he refers to the ‘I’ and ‘my self’ here, is he referring to the ordinary sense of self we have?
Yes. SN 22.59 is highlighting life is comprised of five aggregates and, importantly, how these five aggregates must be comprehended. Thus the practise is two-fold: (i) clearly comprehending the aggregates as 'aggregates'; (ii) so the view of 'self' is abandoned in relation to the five aggregates.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

DarrenM wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:35 pm My question is a simple one. When he refers to the ‘I’ and ‘my self’ here, is he referring to the ordinary sense of self we have, or whatever else people like to call it, conventional self, etc?
I don't think it's clear from the suttas what exactly anatta is negating.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

If it was just "conventional self" then that would not include "ultimate self" and it would be ok to make notion of an ultimate self, AKA Brahman, etc. However, that's not considered ok either. He's referring to any notion of "myself", whether it's a personal self, absolute self, conventional self, universal self, etc, etc.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

seeker242 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:23 pm He's referring to any notion of "myself", whether it's a personal self, absolute self, conventional self, universal self, etc, etc.
Though "I have no self" is also a view about self.

I suspect this is less to do with a view or position ( see DN1 ), and more to do with a practice, that of non-identification:

"'The way of practice leading to the cessation of self-identification, the way of practice leading to the cessation of self-identification,' it is said, lady. Which way of practice leading to the cessation of self-identification is described by the Blessed One?"
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Buddha save me from new-agers!
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Dinsdale wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:35 am
seeker242 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:23 pm He's referring to any notion of "myself", whether it's a personal self, absolute self, conventional self, universal self, etc, etc.
Though "I have no self" is also a view about self.
Sure I think you could say that. In MN 2 The Buddha declares that to be an "idea unfit for attention" and a "thicket of views". However, not entertaining notions of "myself" does not necessitate the view of "I have no self". When the whole notion of self is irrelevant, there no need to entertain either view.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Buddha taught selflessness.

All others teach a higher self.

Purity is relative.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

It refers to you and me who wants to put an end to suffering.

IMO.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!