Giving alms to other traditions

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
TRobinson465

Giving alms to other traditions

Post by TRobinson465 »

Hello,

I remember reading something a while ago about the Buddha allowing one of his monk's family members to give alms to another religious tradition or something. Does this ring a bell to anybody? Does anybody know if this story is true and if so can someone provide the sutta where its mentioned? Much appreciated. :anjali:
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Volo

Re: Giving alms to other traditions

Post by Volo »

In MN 56 a householer Upali, who previously was a follower of Jains became Buddha's follower. The Buddha advised him to consider to support jains:
Householder, your family has long supported the Nigaṇṭhas and you should consider that alms should be given to them when they come.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Volovsky wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:15 am In MN 56 a householer Upali, who previously was a follower of Jains became Buddha's follower. The Buddha advised him to consider to support jains:
But Upali attained stream-entry and thus independence from the Teacher. I recall Upali did not follow the advice of the Buddha.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Volovsky wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:15 am In MN 56 a householer Upali, who previously was a follower of Jains became Buddha's follower. The Buddha advised him to consider to support jains:
Householder, your family has long supported the Nigaṇṭhas and you should consider that alms should be given to them when they come.
Thats the one i was looking for!!! Thank you very much! :anjali:

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Volo

Post by Volo »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:21 am But Upali attained stream-entry and thus independence from the Teacher. I recall Upali did not follow the advice of the Buddha.
According to the sutta he did:
Then the householder Upāli, having delighted and rejoiced in the Blessed One’s words, rose from his seat, and after paying homage to the Blessed One, keeping him on his right, he left to return to his own house. There he addressed the doorkeeper thus: “Good doorkeeper, from today on I close my door to the Nigaṇṭhas and the Nigaṇṭhīs, and I open my door to the Blessed One’s bhikkhus, bhikkhunīs, men lay followers, and women lay followers. If any Nigaṇṭha comes, then tell him thus: ‘Wait, venerable sir, do not enter. From today on the householder Upāli has gone over to discipleship under the recluse Gotama. He has closed his door to the Nigaṇṭhas and Nigaṇṭhīs, and he has opened it to the Blessed One’s bhikkhus, bhikkhunīs, men lay followers, and women lay followers. Venerable sir, if you need alms, wait here; they will bring it to you here.’”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Volovsky wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:25 am According to the sutta he did...
OK... i must have missed that part. However, the important message is to "not open the door of the house" to the other traditions; thus do not let them influence the mind. I suppose they can be fed with physical food; like feeding a hungry animal or ordinary person.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I have read several stories of muslim families in SE Asia giving alms to Buddhist monks. Its considered good neighborly conduct/community participation and I am sure the Buddha would approve of it as an act of generosity, if one feels moved to give, one should do so.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

dharmacorps wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:32 pm I have read several stories of muslim families in SE Asia giving alms to Buddhist monks. Its considered good neighborly conduct/community participation and I am sure the Buddha would approve of it as an act of generosity, if one feels moved to give, one should do so.
For what it's worth, I agree too. If someone, or some group, is doing good things they are worthy of our support - especially in non-Buddhist countries, where opportunities for dana to Buddhist groups may be quite limited.

:namaste:
Kim
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

If someone, or some group, is doing good things they are worthy of our support
Agree.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Yes the buddha didn't say to only give to his sangha. Those who say he did misrepresent him. What he said is giving to those who are worthy and virtuous is most fruitful.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The Magha Sutta (Sn.p.86) gives a detailed account of the virtues of the arahant to show to whom alms should be offered by one desiring merit. The Brahmanasamyutta (S.i,175) maintains that offerings bear greatest results when they are made to those who know their previous lives, who have seen heavens and hells, who have put an end to birth and who have realized ultimate knowledge.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... el367.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”