Confusion between Eight fold noble path and Anatta

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
canadianbuddhist

Confusion between Eight fold noble path and Anatta

Post by canadianbuddhist »

Hello,

I wonder what is the philosophy of Buddhism. I guess the whole philosophy of Buddhism is Anatta. (Not self)
But, with meditation traditions, it seems that more people and instructors are lay more emphasis on the destination (Nirvana and its path) and not to understand Anatta. Also , I wonder can someone tell me how the noble eight fold path (ariaya atthangika magga) and Anatta concept to be understood? how to synthesize these two? where we should put more emphasis on? Also how clearly can we understand these two and how they co-exist if so?
JohnK

Re: Confusion between Eight fold noble path and Anatta

Post by JohnK »

Here is a classic presentation of the Eightfold Path by Bhikkhu Bodhi in case you are not familiar with it -- well worth the time to read.
It may help with your confusion.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... toend.html
:anjali:

Edit: Some would say that the Buddha did not teach a philosophy, but a pragmatic path to the end of suffering (notice my "signature quote").
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
canadianbuddhist

Post by canadianbuddhist »

Well, this is not what I want to know. I want somebody here to briefly explain to me about the connection of these two and etc.
cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

canadianbuddhist wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:12 pm Hello,

I wonder what is the philosophy of Buddhism. I guess the whole philosophy of Buddhism is Anatta. (Not self)
But, with meditation traditions, it seems that more people and instructors are lay more emphasis on the destination (Nirvana and its path) and not to understand Anatta. Also , I wonder can someone tell me how the noble eight fold path (ariaya atthangika magga) and Anatta concept to be understood? how to synthesize these two? where we should put more emphasis on? Also how clearly can we understand these two and how they co-exist if so?
They're all facets of the same jewel, IMO.

The Noble Eightfold Path is developed which unveils anatta and results in nibbana.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

The connection, very briefly (and following Thanissaro):
Developing the Path can lead to the perception of not-self which can support dispassion which can lead to the goal.

(It might be helpful to those who may reply to your post if you were a bit more precise about what is confusing.)
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I suspect it was just a convention of the time
It is important to remember that there is a tenfold path with ending right knowledge and right release.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

“Bhikkhus, for a virtuous person, one whose behavior is virtuous, no volition need be exerted: ‘Let non-regret arise in me.’ It is natural that non-regret arises in a virtuous person, one whose behavior is virtuous.
* “For one without regret no volition need be exerted: ‘Let joy arise in me.’ It is natural that joy arises in one without regret.
As he was sitting there, the Blessed One said to him, "What do you think, Rahula — is the eye constant or inconstant?"
"Inconstant, lord."
"And is that which is inconstant easeful or stressful?"
"Stressful, lord."
"And is it fitting to regard what is inconstant, stressful, subject to change as: 'This is mine. This is my self. This is what I am'?"
"No, lord."
"What do you think — are forms,consciousness, contact or whatever there is that arises in dependence on contact at the eye as a mode of feeling, a mode of perception, a mode of fabrication, or a mode of consciousness:[1] Is it constant or inconstant?"
"Inconstant, lord."
"Stressful, lord."
"And is it fitting to regard what is inconstant, stressful, subject to change as: 'This is mine. This is my self. This is what I am'?"
"No, lord."
"What do you think, Rahula — is the ear, is the nose, is the tongue, is the body, is the intellect constant or inconstant?"
"Inconstant, lord."
"Stressful, lord."
"No, lord."
"What do you think — are ideas constant or inconstant?"
"Inconstant, lord."
"Stressful, lord."
"No, lord."
"What do you think — is consciousness at the intellect constant or inconstant?"
"Inconstant, lord."
"Stressful, lord."
"No, lord."
"What do you think — is contact at the intellect constant or inconstant?"
"Inconstant, lord."
"Stressful, lord."
"No, lord."
"What do you think — whatever there is that arises in dependence on contact at the intellect as a mode of feeling, a mode of perception, a mode of fabrication, or a mode of consciousness: Is it constant or inconstant?"
"Inconstant, lord."
"Stressful, lord."
"No, lord."
"Seeing thus, Rahula, the instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with the eye, disenchanted with forms, disenchanted with consciousness at the eye, disenchanted with contact at the eye. And whatever there is that arises in dependence on contact at the eye as a mode of feeling, a mode of perception, a mode of fabrication, or a mode of consciousness: With that, too, he grows disenchanted.
"He grows disenchanted with the ear...
"He grows disenchanted with the nose...
"He grows disenchanted with the tongue...
"He grows disenchanted with the body...
"And what is the purpose of disenchantment? What is its reward?"

"Disenchantment has dispassion as its purpose, dispassion as its reward."

"And what is the purpose of dispassion? What is its reward?"

"Dispassion has knowledge & vision of release as its purpose, knowledge & vision of release as its reward.
"Thus in this way, Ananda, skillful virtues have freedom from remorse as their purpose, freedom from remorse as their reward. Freedom from remorse has joy as its purpose, joy as its reward. Joy has rapture as its purpose, rapture as its reward. Rapture has serenity as its purpose, serenity as its reward. Serenity has pleasure as its purpose, pleasure as its reward. Pleasure has concentration as its purpose, concentration as its reward. Concentration has knowledge & vision of things as they actually are as its purpose, knowledge & vision of things as they actually are as its reward. Knowledge & vision of things as they actually are has disenchantment as its purpose, disenchantment as its reward. Disenchantment has dispassion as its purpose, dispassion as its reward. Dispassion has knowledge & vision of release as its purpose, knowledge & vision of release as its reward.

"In this way, Ananda, skillful virtues lead step-by-step to the consummation of arahantship."
Dhp c20;
"All created things are impermanent."
Seeing this with insight,
One becomes disenchanted with suffering.
This is the path to purity.

"All created things are suffering."

"All things are not-self."
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

canadianbuddhist wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:12 pmthe destination...Nirvana... the noble eight fold path (ariaya atthangika magga) and Anatta...
The Noble Eightfold Path was taught with the Four Noble Truths in the 1st sermon. The Four Noble Truths & Noble Eightfold Path do not explicitly mention anatta. The Four Noble Truths identify craving as the primary problem to be overcome via its prevention and abandonment. Therefore, the 7th factor the Noble Eightfold Path says in relation to abandoning cravings...
" ... a monk remains mindful — putting away greed & distress with reference to the world ..."
Anatta was taught in the 2nd sermon as a more advanced, powerful & effective realisation. However, similar to the goal of the Four Noble Truths, the realisation of anatta will also destroy craving, as follows:
O monks, the well-instructed noble disciple, seeing [anatta] thus, gets wearied of form, gets wearied of feeling, gets wearied of perception, gets wearied of mental formations, gets wearied of consciousness. Being wearied he becomes passion-free. In his freedom from passion, he is emancipated.

2nd sermon
Therefore, if we are to place anatta within the Noble Eightfold Path, it would probably primarily form part of the 7th factor (Right Mindfulness), which, in practise, includes:

1. Seeing bodily phenomena as 'body' (rather than seeing bodily phenomena as 'self').

2. Seeing feelings as 'feeling' (rather than seeing feelings as 'self').

3. Seeing mental states as 'mentality' (rather than seeing mentality as 'self').

4. Seeing Dhammas as 'Dhammas' (rather than seeing Dhamma as 'self').

I hope this helps. :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Good answer DD.
:thumbsup:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:50 pm Good answer DD.
:thumbsup:
Agreed.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Thank you, friends. :twothumbsup:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

canadianbuddhist wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:12 pm Hello,

But, with meditation traditions, it seems that more people and instructors are lay more emphasis on the destination (Nirvana and its path) and not to understand Anatta.
I don't see how one can arrive at the destination(nibbana) without not only understanding but the realisation of anatta which is the path.
"Any kind of ....... whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near must, with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not my self.'

"Bhikkhus, when a noble follower who has heard (the truth) sees thus, he finds estrangement in form, he finds estrangement in feeling, he finds estrangement in perception, he finds estrangement in determinations, he finds estrangement in consciousness.

"When he finds estrangement, passion fades out. With the fading of passion, he is liberated. When liberated, there is knowledge that he is liberated.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
diligence

Post by diligence »

canadianbuddhist wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:12 pm I wonder what is the philosophy of Buddhism. I guess the whole philosophy of Buddhism is Anatta. (Not self)

If you have to use this term-philosophy, then I would say that the philosophy of Buddhism is dukkha(suffering, unsatisfactoriness,stress),not anatta.

The Buddha taught nothing other than dukkha and the elimination of it.

The noble eight fold path (ariya aṭṭhaṅgika magga) is the only way to the totally elimination of dukkha. :anjali:
With the arising of delight, there is the arising of suffering. With the cessation of delight, comes the cessation of suffering.
Nandisamudayā dukkhasamudayo, nandinirodhā dukkhanirodho.
Dukkhameva uppajjamānaṃ uppajjati, dukkhaṃ nirujjhamānaṃ nirujjhati.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

diligence wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:16 pm
canadianbuddhist wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:12 pm I wonder what is the philosophy of Buddhism. I guess the whole philosophy of Buddhism is Anatta. (Not self)

If you have to use this term-philosophy, then I would say that the philosophy of Buddhism is dukkha(suffering, unsatisfactoriness,stress),not anatta.

The Buddha taught nothing other than dukkha and the elimination of it.

The noble eight fold path (ariya aṭṭhaṅgika magga) is the only way to the totally elimination of dukkha. :anjali:
Yes I agree, I wouldnt say the whole philosophy of Buddhism is anatta. If you had to simplify Buddhism into a short term its about suffering and the end of it.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

anatta is just one of the things you must realize to end suffering.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta