metta.lk domain name expired. What happens?

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
theY

metta.lk domain name expired. What happens?

Post by theY »

I often use tipitaka from this site. Many translated sutta is available just on this site, not accesstoinsight or not suttacentral.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html
ryanM

Re: metta.lk domain name expired. What happens?

Post by ryanM »

This link may be useful for you.
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
perkele

Post by perkele »

theY wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:47 pm I often use tipitaka from this site. Many translated sutta is available just on this site, not accesstoinsight or not suttacentral.
There is this older copy of metta.lk tipitaka collection on awake.kiev.ua: http://awake.kiev.ua/dhamma/tipitaka/index.html
Maybe not all texts that were on metta.lk are included in it.

And as ryanM said, archive.org can be helpful. This is the last snapshot before the domain expired: https://web.archive.org/web/20171002221 ... /tipitaka/
I think one can still find the contents of all metta.lk from there.

Four years ago the Bhikkhu Mettavihari who was maintaining the site wrote:
Bhikkhu Mettavihari wrote: I have more or less frozen the work on http://metta.lk
/.../
with metta
Mettavihari
Some translations by sister Uppalavanna have also been started to be included in zugangzureinsicht.org / accesstoinsight.eu by Ven. Johann. If anyone wants to help include more there, too, so it can be preserved in one more place on the internet for some time, they could come on the sangham.net forum to help. It is just a matter of asking for permission from the right places to make sure it is allowed to copy, and formatting some HTML to upload then.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

General information ...
When you buy a domain name, you assume that you own it. However, in actual fact domain names are leased – when a domain name is purchased, it can be used by the ‘owner’ for a certain amount of time (somewhere between one and ten years).

So what happens when that time period is up? Well, the website ‘owner’ has the option of renewing it; however if they don’t, the domain name expires.

When a domain expires, it is essentially put up for lease and other businesses and individuals have the opportunity to buy it. Expired domains vary in terms of price, from the standard cost of purchasing a new domain through to thousands of dollars for sought-after web addresses.
More at https://www.hostingaustralia.com.au/dig ... ed-domain/ (not a site I especially recommend, but a nice summary of the subject).

It might be possible for some interested person or group to simply reinstate the whole site at its old address but with new ownership and probably on a new host.

:thinking:
Kim
theY

Post by theY »

Do you have the latest update .zip file?

Thank you very much for every help.
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
sgns

Post by sgns »

perkele wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:25 am If anyone wants to help include more there, too, so it can be preserved in one more place on the internet for some time, they could come on the sangham.net forum to help. It is just a matter of asking for permission from the right places to make sure it is allowed to copy, and formatting some HTML to upload then.

perkele, is there a specific thread on sangham.net where this is being discussed?

Does anyone know contact information for Bhikkhu Mettavihari or any others associated with the site? I assume the email address [email protected] is no longer functioning.

The zip file for Version 8.0 is at http://awake.kiev.ua/dhamma/tipitaka/

I wonder if it makes more sense to rebuild the site itself, or take the translations are incorporate into another existing site such as suttacentral? In the latter case, as Kim suggests one could set up a redirect from metta.lk -- assuming it is a typical domain, setting up a permanent redirect would cost $15 a year. I could do that one year but would need help for longterm.
perkele

Post by perkele »

sgns wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:18 pm
perkele wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:25 am If anyone wants to help include more there, too, so it can be preserved in one more place on the internet for some time, they could come on the sangham.net forum to help. It is just a matter of asking for permission from the right places to make sure it is allowed to copy, and formatting some HTML to upload then.

perkele, is there a specific thread on sangham.net where this is being discussed?
Not one specific thread. Many threads regarding such topics of how to share Dhamma properly in the wild west or worldwide web, clearing things - making sure that it is right to use, asking about copyrights and permission to share etc., trying to make things proper, steering clear of adinnadana and putting kataññu into practice. It is not always an easy topic. But where there's a will, there's a way. And I think naive and straightforward, just starting with doing something, and then seeing how to make it "proper", seems to be a good approach usually.

There is a subforum on sangham.net for preparing texts to be included on the AccessToInsight "clone" zugangzureinsicht.org/accesstoinsight.eu, what ever people would like to share and help adding. Of course copyright questions and how to act proper about it can be discussed there as well.

I have been "responsible" for maintaining the (accesstoinsight.eu / zugangzureinsicht.org ATI clone) site. But have not managed to do a good job of it yet very much. :shrug: (and tbh I think I'm not cut out for it - living in chaos, I can't keep anything in order :embarassed: ). Most has been done from the start till end by Ven. Johann, a samanera in Cambodia.
But I can help with whatever plans there may come up when I only find enough time.
sgns wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:18 pmDoes anyone know contact information for Bhikkhu Mettavihari or any others associated with the site? I assume the email address [email protected] is no longer functioning.
Looking at the most recent snapshat of metta.lk from archive.org / WayBackMachine, the last contact e-mail address was: dharmavahini at gmail.com
Maybe somebody else has been "in charge" for the last period where the site was still up.
sgns wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:18 pmThe zip file for Version 8.0 is at http://awake.kiev.ua/dhamma/tipitaka/

I wonder if it makes more sense to rebuild the site itself, or take the translations are incorporate into another existing site such as suttacentral? In the latter case, as Kim suggests one could set up a redirect from metta.lk -- assuming it is a typical domain, setting up a permanent redirect would cost $15 a year. I could do that one year but would need help for longterm.
A redirect, for people who only have the metta.lk link and do not know where to find another source, might be good for pointing to awake.kiev.ua, since there is already this exact 1-to-1 copy (of an older version), so it would be easy to navigate and find anything. Of course it would be good to get in contact with the maintainers of that site and of the old metta.lk, also to perhaps see if it would be possible to host the newest (9.0) version, if that still can be recovered completely from somewhere, and to perhaps ask how to contribute to cover costs for hosting and traffic, for people who would like to make sure that these Dhamma resources stay available. I think ensuring the continued existence of this source would be a great Dhamma dana for the benefit of many people.
sgns

Post by sgns »

perkele wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:23 pm WayBackMachine, the last contact e-mail address was: dharmavahini at gmail.com
Maybe somebody else has been "in charge" for the last period where the site was still up.
I just wrote to this email address, perhaps you did as well perkele?

I asked if they had plans to renew the domain, or would be open to some kind of redirect / permanent archive of the site elsewhere. I also asked if they had a zip file of version 9.0, and included a link to this thread. I'll post any updates.
sgns

Post by sgns »

@theY when did you last look for Sutta Central links to metta.lk?
I just noticed Sutta Central linking to the metta.lk archive when needed, at least in this instance: https://suttacentral.net/pi/sn8.7 links to http://awake.kiev.ua/dhamma/tipitaka/2S ... ggo-e.html

@perkele do you know who maintains the awake.kiev.ua site? It was connected to https://dhamma.ru/? I wonder if they would be willing and able to archive version 9.0 instead of version 8.0.

In such a case, and if the original owners of metta.lk do not wish to maintain the site any longer, we could purchase the metta.lk domain and put up a simple message (rather than a redirect) that refers users to both the awake.kiev.ua archive and to Sutta Central. Sutta Central seems to be the site of the future for suttas, no?
sgns

Post by sgns »

I received a reply from Bhikkhu Mettavihari.

He said the metta.lk site should be back up and running within the next 2 weeks.

He confirmed that he is no longer updating the site, but others are welcome to make updates, as well as use the site data on other websites:

I have long ago declared it as in the Public domain.
How can I ever have copyright over the Buddha's words ;-)
theY

Post by theY »

sgns wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm I received a reply from Bhikkhu Mettavihari.

He said the metta.lk site should be back up and running within the next 2 weeks.

He confirmed that he is no longer updating the site, but others are welcome to make updates, as well as use the site data on other websites:

I have long ago declared it as in the Public domain.
How can I ever have copyright over the Buddha's words ;-)
Thank you, very much.

This bhikkhu has a kind mind. I am an ancient theravāda buddhist, so it is very serious for me that the buddhist must not take any money by dhamma-selling. So, I am very happy when he decide to give his translation to the public.