A quibble about Buddhadasa's teaching

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.
appicchato

Re: A quibble about Buddhadasa's teaching

Post by appicchato » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:13 am

Thank you robert...not quite the 'stretch' it was previously...

Be well... :smile:

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:54 pm

Greetings

I have a great respect for Ajahn Buddhadasa but i have read something today which i feel is..... odd (cant think of a better word)
When a good deed is done, goodness spontaneously arises; when an evil deed is done, evilness spontaneously arises. There is no need to wait for any further results. If there will be any birth after death, that rebirth only occurs through the kamma one has done in this very life and the results of which have already occurred here. We need not worry about rebirth such that it obstructs our practice.
And
Whenever a good or evil deed is done, goodness or evilness spontaneously arises accordingly without having to wait for later results
http://www.suanmokkh.org/archive/arts/m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... kamma1.htm

The part in blue is what im focusing on, not rebirth.

Im having trouble with it because this seems to directly contradict the teachings of Buddha that kamma-vipaka isnt always instant
"And what is the result of kamma? The result of kamma is of three sorts, I tell you: that which arises right here & now, that which arises later, and that which arises following that. This is called the result of kamma.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tml#part-5

Was i correct in this understanding?

Metta

Form is like a lump of foam;
feeling is like a bubble;
perception seems like a mirage;
volitions like a banana tree;
and consciousness like a magic trick:
so taught the Kinsman of the Sun.

gavesako

Post by gavesako » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:48 pm

Yes, I think Buddhadasa is simply stressing the immediate result of kamma here & now as a corrective to the usual Thai understanding which focuses almost exclusively on the future results (without paying attention to the mind state in the present moment). Both of these are aspects of kamma-vipaka, it is just a matter of emphasis.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:25 am

Greetings,

A new thread has been created to enable people to respond to the quibbles about Buddhadasa's teaching from a non-Classical perspective.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)